amazon pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

has anyone had any experience with the legacy brand pens at amazon,,thought about ordering some but didn't know how they compete with other brands,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I have not but...They might be..should be...could be ok...just read reviews and look into the recourse.

These kits? Legacy Woodturning, Slimline Pen Kit, Many Finishes, Multi-Packs

Last edited:

magpens

I am not sure if the word "legacy" is part of the company name, or an indicator that the pen kits are surplus and gathered from companies that have discontinued selling them.

They don't seem to be much cheaper than buying from other vendors that many of us buy from.
I think they would be allright at least for starting out. . Give them a try and let us know how you make out.

In any case, they seem to be marketed at this website (in addition to amazon):

PEN MAKING - Pens & Pencil Kits - Page 1 - The Woodturning Store

Last edited:

AJMwoodcrafts

I recently picked up this pack (last one in the 1st link) and the quality seems on par with the kits from Woodcraft.
3a51ce75cdbff7e12c16478e9b2db8b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

crokett

I was looking at pen kits on Amazon the other day. Pricing is pretty close to what the various other vendors charge, in some case a few cents more, even when shipping is included. For instance, Amazon sells a 3-pack of the PSI Bolt Action kit for 37+change, or around 16.00 a pen on Amazon Prime.
Woodturningz sells the pens for ~15.00 a pen. They charge 6.50 for flat rate shipping, whereas with Prime, shipping would be free. However, you could buy 6 from Woodturningz and then the price is basically a wash.

Hi Frank,
Once in a while I order some kits from TAYLORSMIRFIELD in England. I really like the Sigma Dual, it is a rollerball and fountain pen in one, just unscrew the nib and switch out with the insides ! Everything included with the kit, a great deal !

Irv

Cwalker935

I had an issue using tube in casts on the Legacy Sierra kits. They would crack when pressing in the components. I am not sure if the tubes are thinner or the components slightly oversized. I was able to resolve the issue by reaming out the tube and gluing in the component.

Beautys_Beast

I will stick with exoticblanks. Less expensive than anyone else, great customer service, I can go pick em up, and I always get M&M's. Im easily bribe-able with M&M's.

Talltim

Legacy pens may be good, I do not know.

Amazon purchases are only as good as what is being sold and who is selling them.

Before buying I often go online to the assembly instruction page of the kit I am looking at. Usually you can see a good picture of all of the parts up close. ( if the picture is of the same pen kit being sold, I have seen some that looked like they were "using" someone else's instructions.).

If some of the parts look thin or plastic etc. I avoid them.

In general I only buy from vendors I trust and don't worry about the "price" based scalpers.

I have come to the conclusion saving three dollars on a lesser kit I am going to sell for sixty five dollars along with my reputation is short term thinking.

I did that once buying "Manhattan" sierra style kits instead of berea based kits. I repented in shame when the clip broke in a customers hands and the other kits had faulty transmissions.

I would rather spend more on quality parts initially and have a customer come back to buy more than spend less and have them come back with complaints. Every pen that leaves my hands takes my reputation with it.

I do believe some kits are overpriced for the quality you get. But in general you get what you pay for.

I do not want to give up quality or customer service from a vendor.

I also like dealing with vendors that are members and regular commenters on this forum. I know they care about their reputations and will hear jeers if they don't.

Last edited:

SpecialV4213

I've used the "slimline" and "Viceroy" (Gatsby/Wall Street II)kits and while they are compatible you will definitely notice a difference in quality.

Top Bottom