Am I wierd?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zapdafish

I get more enjoyment turning the blanks and seeing the grain or pattern pop during the final stages of micro mesh polishing than actually putting them into pen kits. :tongue:

I am planning on making some decaled wall street II pens to give out at work and it's been alot of fun trying different types of wood to see what the final result is with a decal on it. Maybe because I am so new to pen turning and am seeing these beautiful swirls and grains for the first time. :redface:

So far I have made 3 pens out of about 15 blanks of various woods and acrylics.

Super curly hickory and lignum vitae have been my favorites.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

NO, not weird, its always nice to see what is on the inside of the blanks. I appreciate seeing the grain come out while finishing. My favorites are desert iron wood, amboyna, curly koa, etc. The finished pen is still the best part! The acrylics also surprise me with what waits inside.

thewishman

I've got some wood that I keep around, just because it is pretty. There are so many beautiful things - wait 'til you start turning burls.

Soon, you may find that making the parts into pens will make it much easier to show them off to other people. When a person has to use a pen, it might as well be something nice.

bensoelberg

No, you're not weird at all, you're just a turner! Have you made any turned boxes or bowls yet? If you are enjoying turning pen barrels, you absolutely love turning other things as well.

zapdafish

so far about 6-7 bowls. last 2 were segmented. I am liking that more than turning a chunk since I don't have to turn, wait for it to dry then work at it again.

BSea

Your not weird at all. I've turned several blanks round. Sometimes I do it to see what's inside. Other times I do it just because I can't decide what to make, and I have to make them round anyway. It beats sitting in front of the tube. . . . . . . . . ummm . . . . . Does anybody have a tube anymore? I should say "It beats sitting in front of the screen. :)

And speaking of that, the 2nd half is about to start.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm sort of new and a self taught pen turner turner. I have made pens from 92 different woods thus far, a whole bunch of different acrylics and Corian or other solid surface types of materials. I still get that kick of seeing the grain of the finished woods, or pattern inside acrylics or what the solid surface materials might bare. If you can see, in your mind's eye, this pattern or grain beforehand.... the pen kit "ornamentation" just makes that grain or pattern "Pop" some more!

Last edited:
Top Bottom