Am I being too picky??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fafow

I I just received an order from CSUSA. I had ordered a Havana pen box for a customer. This is for a gift for his grandfather (I already finished the Jr. Gent II rollerball pen and delivered that to him) and he wants to either engrave the box or attach a plate to the box. The lid on this box does not lay flush on the right side. The pin holding the lid is maybe 1/32" higher on the right side so the lid will not lay flat. Should I live with this and hope the customer doesn't see it, or should I contact CSUSA and request a replacement? If I were to buy this in the store I would purchase it only if it was my only option. Or, should I buff out the polish (I always use a burnishing cream to get a nice shine on the boxes) and present it to the customer and if he complains about the lid, then contact CSUSA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I would contact CSUSA first, then go from there. You may decide it's too much of a hassle to get a new one. Maybe they will just send you a new one free of charge. I don't know, I've never dealt with their customer service. But if you are not satisfied with the product, contact them. It's their responsibility to provide a quality product and quality CS when the product is sub-par.

fafow

Criminy, you guys are FAST! I'll contact customer service and see what they say. I have dealt with them in the past and have been very satisfied with the results. It's just that I can get to be a bit overboard on perfection of something and wanted to be sure I wasn't over reacting to this. I have seen a lot of pen boxes at Rockler that have problems with the lids sitting flat so I know this is an issue with boxes. I wish I had a good router so I could make my own boxes (I saw the tutorial on that), but maybe with time I'll be able to make that purchase. Thanks for your quick feedback!

jleiwig

One..you see it, but you demand perfection...will the customer see it? Or will they focus on the engraving. Two, It's possible the wood could have warped too.

I don't see where where they say it will be perfect to within 1/32" on their website, so they may tell you to pound sand.

Could you take it apart and drill the hole a bit deeper? May be easier than waiting on a replacement from CSUSA.

fafow

Just got off the phone with Ben and a new one will be sent out. Wow. That was fast and EASY. I asked about sending this one back and he said it was too much trouble for me so don't bother with returning it. Can't ask for much more in terms of customer service.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Just got off the phone with Ben and a new one will be sent out. Wow. That was fast and EASY. I asked about sending this one back and he said it was too much trouble for me so don't bother with returning it. Can't ask for much more in terms of customer service.

FWIW, this is typical of my experience with their customer service department.
Not all companies are like that, but it's nice when your concerns are treated
with respect and they make every effort to rectify problems.

fafow

Justin, I noticed the offset when I opened the box. The gap between the bottom of the lid and the back of the box is noticeably larger (about twice the distance) on the right side than it is on the left and the brass pin holding the lid in place clearly is a bit higher on the right side than it is on the left.

If I had been told that I would have to live with the box as it is I would have accepted that without much of an argument, but I'm glad it didn't get to that point.

jleiwig

Justin, I noticed the offset when I opened the box. The gap between the bottom of the lid and the back of the box is noticeably larger (about twice the distance) on the right side than it is on the left and the brass pin holding the lid in place clearly is a bit higher on the right side than it is on the left.

If I had been told that I would have to live with the box as it is I would have accepted that without much of an argument, but I'm glad it didn't get to that point.

I'm glad too, but I think you could fix it and have two boxes! :biggrin:

JimB

That's what I like about them. You don't need to give big, long explanations. They just fix your problem. :)

Top Bottom