aluminum for segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Ok so I am wanting to do some segmenting with aluminum but unsure of where to get it from and what grade to use I seen some.in Lowes but not sure if there's is to thick to use. Any help will be welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I tried the can thing and it was more of a pain in the butt than just using the sheets. You can use about any thickness you want. In fact different sheets would add a different effect to the pen! I use a 0,5mm thick aluminum for my accents and that sheet has lasted me close to a year now and I still have half of it left. Going the can route is really thin and requires additional work and truth is I'm just too lazy to do it! Try it ALL, do something new, and share the results!

Drstrangefart

I like this aluminum flashing I found at work. That stuff is a good thickness, and I've made celtic knots with it that looked great. Might wanna look at Home Depot, too.

sumterdad

I have a roll of the roof flashing that roofers use is that what you are referring to. Have not thought about using it. Will give it a try later

wiset1

I bought mine as a flat craft sheet when I was back in Germany that had a film that had to be removed to keep it looking pretty, ha ha ha. That thing get's all kinds of sanding marks on it by the time I'm finished with it!

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

I have a roll of the roof flashing that roofers use is that what you are referring to. Have not thought about using it. Will give it a try later

I'm pretty sure that's the same stuff. Mine has a pink film on it for some reason. Either way, great stuff. As an added bonus, it fits with some plexiglass perfectly into the kerf from my bandsaw.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Drier vents work well too. For about $8.00 you get plenty of extra aluminum. For me, it made a sheet 10" x 12" or so. Made several pens so far. As has been said, scuff both sides and, use medium CA. DON'T squeeze it too tight when you clamp it. You'll push out the glue and, it may fail when turning.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 123

Timbo

Ditto on the flashing. My neighbor had his roof and siding replace due to storm damage. I collected several pieces of flashing that the contractors removed, cut them into smaller pieces that I could easily store.

Also check the dollar store...the have large aluminum baking pans (the disposable type) with a large flat bottom area that you could easily cut out for use.

sbarton22

I when to Hobby Lobby and it comes in a roll. The packaging is about a 1"x1" x12" square clear plastic tube.

When gluing, be sure to scuff up both sides.

Allow the glue to cure fully. Just because it feels locked in place, doesn't mean it is. Any time I have turned them within 2 hours of gluing, they come off. I now just plan ahead and let them cure overnight.

It is my favorite detail to add in dang near everything now. It just takes some patience.

Top Bottom