Aluminum Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Where do you get the thin strips of aluminum for segmenting? And what does it take to glue them? Two-part epoxy?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

I buy mine at Ace hardware. You can also get them at some hobby shops as well as online. I do the majority of my glue ups with CA, but sometimes myself as well as others will use 2 part 5 minute epoxy.

I know this ? Has been asked before so you may want to search the threads to read some of the other answers.

Wheaties

I know this ? Has been asked before so you may want to search the threads to read some of the other answers.

Yeah, I should have... I normally do, but his time I didn't. But a quick search brought up lots of threads that I'm sure hold the answer.

Thanks & Sorry for re-bringing it up

jkeithrussell

Thick CA with even clamping pressure will work just fine. I use .080 or .10 sheets. Scuff them with sandpaper before gluing and give them plenty of time to set up -- I usually wait at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

brianp

I use aluminum from soda cans, and then glue it with thin CA, its worked great for me, and i agree with scuffing it with sandpaper first

aggromere

i use cut up coke cans as well. just make sure to sand both sides to get the finish and coatings off.

AlexL

I used gutter flashing from home depot and 5 minute epoxy to glut it together. I cut the flashing with a paper cutter and was able to get 6 1" strips about 10" long from each piece. I think each piece was 88 cents.

Crashmph

I use the 24oz cans from energy drinks. I have a few crazies in my office that drink them like water, and they give me the tall cans when they are done. I like the 24oz cans because they are slightly thicker than standard coke cans. Thick CA or 2P10 is what I use with even pressure.

SonOfMartin

I'm new to the board but I've been making a few pens over the years. I use 3 or 4 layers / folds of aluminum foil. Works very well and I glue it in with 2-part 5-minute epoxy. The nice thing is you can layer it up as thick as you want it. No need to sand or buff and it looks good. I use pressure while it sets up (in a clamp) but once it's dry, it's easy to work with. Give it a try.

Wheaties

I'm new to the board but I've been making a few pens over the years. I use 3 or 4 layers / folds of aluminum foil. Works very well and I glue it in with 2-part 5-minute epoxy. The nice thing is you can layer it up as thick as you want it. No need to sand or buff and it looks good. I use pressure while it sets up (in a clamp) but once it's dry, it's easy to work with. Give it a try.

Cool. I think I may try that. Do you have a pic of it?

SonOfMartin

Sure can (sort of), my camera's in NYC for the rest of the week. My #2 son is on a work and witness trip and he took it with him. Oh well. I'll get one posted up as soon as he gets back.

Draken

I use the sheets from the hobby store. Had a few failures using soda cans because I missed some of the coatings. Don't forget the clear coating on the inside of the can. I scuff up the sheets with sandpaper and use Weldbond for my glue ups.

DKF

As you have learned, aluminum is not hard to find, but I wanted to chime in on the glue...some of the aluminum I used last did not do well with CA...I ended up using 2 pt. epoxy and will from now on.

Top Bottom