Aluminum Polishing and engraving?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have been asked to make an aluminum pen and am close to getting done but I have two questions:
1. How do I keep the aluminum shiny - the customer doesn't want to to turn white/gray? Is there a polish you can use that seals the aluminum and prevents the oxidation?
2. What is the best way to engrave a black logo on aluminum? I have a logo file from the customer to be engraved but it needs to be black. Laser engraving - I have been told- leaves a white engraving not deep enough to color fill.

Any advice is appreciated!:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

After getting the level of shine I want with buffing wheels when I make the pen, a quick wipe down with a soft cloth once or twice a year keeps my aluminum pens (6061) nice and shiny.

I use rotary cnc to engrave my aluminum pens. If you want laser, then you might look for someone with a fiber laser who has experience creating black marks on aluminum.

Ed

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Hi Keith - I don't use polish (other than the buffing compounds when I make it). 6061 aluminum will stay shiny a long time if it is not abused. The majority of my aluminum pens are not coated with anything.

You can coat aluminum with an industrial lacquer (I've used permalac). This is great as long as the lacquer is not compromised at some point. It's a tough coating, but it is not indestructible. I only do this on pens that will be display pieces and not used regularly.

You can encapsulate your aluminum in PR. This works well where I don't want a textured surface.

You can clear anodize. I have not done this because I've been happy with how durable the aluminum shine is with no additional treatment. There used to be some tutorials in the library on anodizing.

Check your PM for buffing info.

Ed

RickLong

For engraving the aluminum or any other metal with a laser engraver, you can use Cermark Metal marking spray. It is very pricing for doing a couple of pens. A 12oz spray can is $76.00.

You can find this product and a few others that will do black at laserbits.com.

Click here for the Metal Marking Spray!

Hope this helps!

Rick

Top Bottom