Aluminum Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Is there any one who has Aluminum Pen Blanks for the PSI bolt action pens for sale. I have some guys in my unit that would love a pen with aluminum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
They are pretty easy to make yourself IF, you can get some T6061 aluminum rod over there. I could make some for you with proper dimensions. Might cost a bit to send them.

The problem here on Okinawa is they don't do much manufacturing. so you can't
find much aluminum here on island and the stuff i find is very expensive. I found a piece that was 1"X 3' for 5000 yen that like $50

kovalcik

Maybe this is a case of "if you have to ask...", but here goes. What does making an aluminum bolt action blank entail? Just drilling a 3/8" hole in a piece of ~2" aluminum rod, or is there more to it?

southernclay

I've only done an aluminum Liberty and drilled the aluminum blank as close to the same as the inside diameter of the brass tube. Didn't use the tube just used red loctite when pressing the parts into the aluminum.

But I think you can use a brass tube just like usual, just be sure to use a good epoxy for metal to metal adhesion

CrimsonKeel

I buy my rod at hardware stores. a 6 foot section cost like 10 bucks. maybe try a local hardware? if not it will get pretty costly to ship. looks like 23 bucks shipping to a flat rate envelope

sbell111

Maybe this is a case of "if you have to ask...", but here goes. What does making an aluminum bolt action blank entail? Just drilling a 3/8" hole in a piece of ~2" aluminum rod, or is there more to it?
If the aluminum rod was the perfect diameter as your bushings (and it was drilled perfectly in center) and you just wanted it straight from bushing to bushing, you could just 'locktite' in the fittings and be pretty much done. Otherwise, you'll have to turn down the aluminum rod. I believe that most people use carbide-insert tools to make this happen. (Make sure that your tool rest is as close to your work as possible.)

Of course, aluminum will oxidize, so you'll probably want to protect it in some way. (Anodizing seems like a great way to go, but I havent tried it yet. BradG has a cool tutorial in the library regarding this.)

Rockytime

It has been my experience that hardware aluminum does not turn well. I have not tried turning with wood lathe tools but on a metal turning lathe it is very gummy. I would only recommend T6 6061. It is hard and drills very well.

CMaxey

Aluminium pen

Jerry pm me Ill see what i can do, if you haven't found someone to help you out.

Here is a baron style I did a while back can anodize haven't done much dying but would give it a shot.
Randy

Attachments

• 20140415_144206.jpg
    20140415_144206.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 201

TBCbushings

Me personally would not use 6061....I would 7075 or 2024... 6061 is really gummy unless you have coolant on the material all the time...It can be done but it is a bit gummy....Hardware store are probably selling 5052 aluminum....Really gummy..Just my $.02 worth.

Top Bottom