Aluminum pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

Has anyone here turned an aluminum pen? I saw an article about it in Woodturning Design and I'm really intrigued by the idea. I'd just like to hear someone's personal experiences with it before trying it myself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Fred,
Aluminum is hard, but it's easily turned with sharp tools and shallow cuts. Sharpen often. I bought a 1/2" rod at Lowe's and used it. Others say several softer alloys are a lot better.

Look on page two of my photo album for a Pentel pencil in aluminum, and a slimline pen where the top half is aluminum. I think aluminum pens look best with chrome fittings, instead of gold. Others may have other preferences.

txbob

Fred in NC

My only experience with turning aluminum (or aluminium, if you are across the pond!) has been with a metal lathe. Both HSS and carbide tools cut aluminum very well.

Metal cutting tools are presented to the work piece (spinning blank) HORIZONTALLY at CENTER HEIGHT. The metal cutting tool bits are ground with relief angles, and it is the point of the tool that does the cutting. Duplicating the action of a metal lathe is of course not possible with a wood lathe, but the link below shows how to sharpen a bit for a metal lathe. There is a lot of information about metal work in that site.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tool_grinding/tool_grinding.htm

paleydp

I had no trouble turning it with my regular tools, but I think I may have had soft stock. I got mine as a tube from a hobby center. Had a 7mm tube in my purse and found an aluminum tube it would just slide into - no drilling. It took forever to polish to my satisfaction however. Ended up with all our auto polishes, metal polish, etc out and tried almost everything on it, then it scratched easily when completed.

Rudy Vey

Don't use the stuff you can buy at Home Depot or Sears Hardare, this is pretty much pure aluminum and it is not a very nice stuff to work with, it kinda 'smears" and does not polish good, and the hands get always dark when using it. Get some 6061 0r 6063 alloy, can be bought not too expensive from www.onlinemetals.com

Al can be easily turned on a woodlathe using HSS tools. The real tuff stuff is Titanium.....

Rudy

Fred in NC

Remember aluminum dust is VERY DANGEROUS !

When sanding, dust collection is essential. You don't want the fine aluminum dust disturbed later on when you are not wearing a mask. The paper masks are no good for this, at the very least you need the rubber one with two filters that looks a bit like a gas mask. They are not that expensive.

its_virgil

I have turned a few AL pens and it does get hot and slow shalow are essential. I get 6061 or 7075 from a local machine shop that has drops too short for further use but just right for pen blanks. I give a pen or two to the owner or foreman and never been charged. To make the finish satin, I buff it with a scotch brite wheel after sanding and polishing. Its fun. Give it a try. Here is a pic of one I made for a fireman friend...."corian" hose and alminum nozzel.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20041121173410_hose%20nozzle.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom