Aluminum Laminate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pfmcdermott

I have seen many laminated pens posted that have a thin layer of aluminum. I would like to try it but was wondering about a few things. Does the aluminum cut with standard tools? Does aluminum reflectance help to hide the joint between a layers of translucent material? Does it glue up with standard CA glue. - Thanks for any input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

I'm not sure about your second question because I've only used aluminum on wood, but the thin aluminum that I've used, (cut up soda can) drilled and turned with my regular tools without any issues. I also used CA glue to put it together and it held fine.

Parson

I was disappointed in my CA glue-ups with my only aluminum segmented pen. It took a couple of tries to get the CA glue to adhere to the metal, and then the buyer dropped it and it separated at a seam where wood met metal.

Others here use 5 min. epoxy with great success.

It turned like butter for me, just like Ben's experience.,

hewunch

You have to scuff it up for gluing. That is really important! Yes it does help with translucent stuff. Here is a pic of a pen I did with Koa aluminum and acrylic. Notice down at the nib end. The aluminum really helps the acrylic shine well.
bigbenkanda2.jpg

Parson

Even though I scuffed up my aluminum, it didn't adhere well to woods and plastics with CA glue.

BTW, white plastic sheeting also makes translucent PR POP!

JGCIV

I like to use aluminum in segmenting. I HAVE had problems with the glue not holding well between the metal and wood, even after scuffing the metal up a bit. Especially during drilling. I think the shear strength of the CA glue bond isn't the best. Once sealed with a finish, though, I've not had any problems with joints coming apart.

I prefer to use roof flashing material. Its a bit thicker than soda can, but still not difficult to turn. I usually find that persistence pays off when working with aluminum. Having to "re-glue" a couple of joints that come apart is normally worth it for the results. Here's a pen I posted a couple of weeks ago that gave me some problems, but, as I mentioned, was worth it in the end. This one came apart at least 10 times during drilling and turning.

John

Attachments

• Asian Satinwood Herringbone 1.JPG
    Asian Satinwood Herringbone 1.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Asian Satinwood Herringbone 3.JPG
    Asian Satinwood Herringbone 3.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 148
Top Bottom