aluminum inlays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paulbaird

I have recently seen some pens with what looks like aluminum inlay along the length of the pen. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or something as to how this is done? Is the inlay throughout the entire width of the blank and then drilled out? I wouldn't think this would work. I am new to penturning and would appreciate any pointers here. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I will try to help, segmenting regardless if its gluing 2 pieces of material together with aluminum between the pieces, horizontal or vertical, the important thing to remember is...
1. cut square to ensure proper fit
2. sand both sides of aluminum
3. using CA or epoxy, make sure your not in a rush, let it cure properly
4. when drilling, take your time, go slow.
5. I use beer cans and soda cans, Hobby Lobby also sells aluminum, copper, and brass sheets
hope this helped

Cmiles1985

Since my finger hurts while typing this I'll say that patience is key! I just made my first go at it, and it would have been awesome!!! However, I turned too far down and blew up the blank (inlace acrylester). From what I've read, this is much easier to prep with a bandsaw or a scroll saw.

Edward Cypher

Welcome from Colorado on your first post. There is a ton of information here and helpful people. I am sure others will chime in. Do a search on segmenting and you will get more info than you though was here. Enjoy the madness!!!

Paulbaird

Thanks for the helpful comments and warm welcome. I am finding a wealth of information and ideas here. The challenge will be finding the time to incorporate so many great ideas. I drive truck for a living and get home for about a day every couple weeks. But thats one thing I love about penturning: you can pause midstream in a project and come back to it. I'm thinking about getting a mini lathe to take on the road with me. We'll see.

rossvh

Welcome to IAP! I have done quite a few aluminum segmented pens (50+) and you do need to take it slow. Every joint must be given plenty of curing time and drilling too fast can cause the glue to loosen the joint. Be prepared to use very sharp tools when turning. Though the aluminum in relatively soft - it can still dull your tools (even carbide) faster than normal.

I must admit - the aluminum/copper accents do help set the pen off and my customers all are asking for that added "wow".

Good luck!

Attachments

• Amboyna Burl with Padauk-Aluminum-Turquoise accents.JPG
    Amboyna Burl with Padauk-Aluminum-Turquoise accents.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Amboyna Burl with Padauk and Aluminum.JPG
    Amboyna Burl with Padauk and Aluminum.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 253

dartman

It may not be aluminum,but I also use thin plastic for inlay.I use car dealer plates for material.Have also used plastic lids from butter tubs.

Marnat3

Folgers and Maxwell house coffee cans work for red, black and blue.
And I noticed the colors of laundry detergent bottles have a good variety.

Jim Burr

Banned
I can't bring them up on this computer Paul, but I do tons of aluminum work for inlays. There is a good tutorial in the library, seek it out...I learned and just moved on to other aluminum/brass/copper stuff. PM and see if we can get you in a good direction.

SDB777

I just wanted to add...since my segmenting really stinks(too many blow-ups from lack of patience).

Welcome aboard!!!!

Scott (guitar picks work too) B

Top Bottom