Aluminum... first time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodLM

so i recently was given some T-6061 aluminum rods from my father. he had heard that you are able to turn them on a wood lathe. i have done a little research, but haven't found a good starting point. i was wondering what are the basics for this? are there any kits that kind of lend themselves to aluminum?

-Logan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

so i recently was given some T-6061 aluminum rods from my father. he had heard that you are able to turn them on a wood lathe. i have done a little research, but haven't found a good starting point. i was wondering what are the basics for this? are there any kits that kind of lend themselves to aluminum?

-Logan

Are you paying attention????:biggrin: Just look in the show us your pen forum or do a search for aluminum pens using the search feature above.

TerryDowning

-Logan

Are you paying attention????:biggrin: Just look in the show us your pen forum or do a search for aluminum pens using the search feature above.

or try this
aluminum pens site:penturners.org

These were my very first try at aluminum. It was just like making them in wood, only slower. They are a couple of Vertex Fountain and Ballpoint.

Attachments

• Pens 136.jpg
    Pens 136.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Pens 135.jpg
    Pens 135.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 241

BradG

Aluminium, by itself will oxidise when exposed to air. this is why it loses it's shine after a period of time regardless to how often it is handled. Treating the piece with CA or laquer will help prevent this, but will wear off in time. A better solution would be to anodise it, without applying the dye leaving the oxidised layer clear.

Top Bottom