Aluminum blanks....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

OK -- Why put a brass tube in an aluminum sleeve?? I do some micro-machining and there is not enough difference in the metals to add the step and the inherant problems of adding a brass tube inside an aluminum tube. Just use the same inside diameter -- but I am only working my way up from apprentice grade machinist....

GaryMadore

OK -- Why put a brass tube in an aluminum sleeve?? I do some micro-machining and there is not enough difference in the metals to add the step and the inherant problems of adding a brass tube inside an aluminum tube. Just use the same inside diameter -- but I am only working my way up from apprentice grade machinist....

Ken,

I think that's the point: He was asking about the size hole he needs to drill if he doesn't use tubes (in other words, he was asking the inside diameter of the brass tubes used in 7mm kits)

A journeyman would have known that ;)

Cheers!

Gary

bradbn4

The one aluminum pen that I made I just turned it on my wood lathe. It was easy to do - no fuss at all. The pen looks nice and all - not sure where I got the pre-drilled blank tho.

I guess it was included in one of the orders that I did from a group member.

Who ever you were - thanks

KenV

Rob --

My poor reading -- and I got put off point by the drilling--

The drilling will not likely (there is always luck) get the control of the whole size to to mount the fittings well. The drilling is to provide the initial starting point, and the boring bar or reamer provides the control to get to within a few thousands of an inch. With a wood lathe, and a collet chuck, the drill and ream will probably work with soft aluminum (T-6 or similar) - and the use of an expandable reamer will be a reasonable investment for doing several.

with a CNC mill -- that is pure magic with fine control.

Now the outside, that would work reasonably well with high speed tooling and fine cuts by hand on a wood lathe working at centerline-

Last edited:

USAFVET98

Rob,
I turned my first one last night and it came out pretty good. I will post pictures later on. I used regular tools but I bought a real cheap set and sharpened them as I went so I didnt ruin my good set. It takes some time and patience, but it turned well. To polish the aluminum, I just used a lead and ring removing gun cloth.

bradbn4

Brad, odds are pretty good I sent you that blank.
Glad it worked out!:biggrin:

Could be I got the metal blank from you. I know I have bought a lot of wonderful stuff from you and others here at IAP.

I have always happy with what I got - but now I see a wonderful little lathe, OK - maybe not so little lathe in my future.

I have saved up for the last few months to buy a grizzly 10x22 metal lathe so I can extend my lathe fun during the winter in the basement. This should give me a chance to make some nice metal / plastic bushings and a few other tools to play with.

With a tool rest I can continue playing around during the winter months when it just is too cold to work in the garage where I have my big lathe.

Nice to see ya back online and all, now to find more accessories for the lathe that is back ordered until late Feb.

To keep it back on topic - no special tools were needed to work a metal blank - and I don't even think I had to sharpen more working on the metal than I did when working on hard maple.

Top Bottom