• Alumilite

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • PR

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ngeb528

Which do you prefer?

I was seeing a lot of posts regarding PR but, lately, I've been seeing more regarding Alumilite.

Which is easier to use?
Which is harder to turn?
Which has shorter cure time?
Which is easier to finish?

Let me know what you think. I haven't tried either and was wondering about the differences.

Thanks all,
Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Both are easy to use and can make beautiful pens. Many examples exist.
PR can be more brittle, but many a good pen has been turned from it. Also this is why it finishes better.
Alumilite has shorter cure time
PR is easier to finish to a higher gloss
PR is less expensive.
PR has more odor
Alumilite is less tolerant of curing without pressure pot.
IMO, Clear PR is more transparent than clear alumilite. Others opinions may differ.

GouletPens

I agree with Bruce. There is no "one's the best and the other sucks" answer. It depends on what you're using it for. As a general rule, I think Alumilite is better for casting with objects in it (label casting, coffee beans, worthless woods, etc) and PR is better for casting just dyes and colors (more like the Acrylic Acetates). Me, I like to come up with an idea and jump right on it, so the quick setup and cure time of Alumilite works better. Plus it doesn't make me see angels like PR does (it smells real strong is what I'm getting at).

bruce119

Well in my experience there is pros and cons in both.

Alumilite

Pros...Is easier to turn just peels off like butter. Cures very fast mixes 2 parts 1 to 1 by weight. Very low to no order Great for worthless wood and something like coffee beans.

Cons...Sets fast 4 minutes not a problem if you get all your stuff lined up no time to wast. Doesn't polish up quite as glossy as Polyester (debatable). Beware if trying something like snake skin it has a tendency to flex and separation can occur (causing and ugly foggy appearance) at the ends from over tightening bushings and or pressing in the parts.

Polyester

Pros...Low cost. More working time. Polishes to a high glass gloss finish.

Cons...Bad oder & can tend to be a bit brittle if you put too much catalyst in. A little harder to turn you should sand to round then turn with a skew.

My vote goes to Polyester resin

Bruce

S

spiritwoodturner

Never tried Alumilite, so I voted for PR. Curtis is working on something that may well make Alumilite polish to a higher sheen. That could get me to try it. I've turned some of the Alumilite blanks sold here, and they are noticeably duller in shine. It hasn't been a huge issue because when coupled with wood they need to be finished anyway, so that's the equalizer.

I must say, as a beginner at this, I do actually like that PR takes longer to cure, and it does. WAY longer. But it gives me time to fiddle and experiment. I can put a little color in here, a little pearl there. Course, on occasion it ends up looking like baby yack, but that's another story. Hey, maybe if I mixed some peas and carrots in...

Dale

hughbie

here's my input.....
i've done alumilite once. it's great because of the low to no order and the speed of setting. but.....
since i don't use pressure (yet) the quick setting of alumilite will trap air bubbles throughout the blank.
i only use PR now, the slow setting allows the air bubbles that come with stirring to float to the top.
i did a demo of mixing and pouring of pen blanks using PR just this past saturday.....one of the biggest questions from our group, was, about the smell.....once i started....i think most everyone was somewhat surprised as to the smell. they had heard all about the stink...but i think they were pleased that it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be.
there was a question about stuff that was mixed in the PR settling while it was setting......the blanks i made had some pearlx and also some gold flake (seems like a trade mark for me) and when they were set....i showed everyone that i didn't have the problem of that happening with me (for some reason)

that's my two cents....i voted for PR

workinforwood

I have to vote for alumilite. Two benefits not mentioned are that you can tap alumilite easy, and you can tap Pr, but it's difficult to do. You can scroll alumilite with control. You have not control scrolling PR as it just melts around the blade and sticks to itself behind the blade causing a big mess. I don't think there's any argument that they both have situations they work best in over the other.

Top Bottom