Alternative Materials Difficulty?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

So, I finally branched out into things other than wood (specifically PR) and found that it really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Now I am wondering how difficult other common alternative materials are.

Specifically I am thinking about tru-stone, corian, and M3 blanks. I have seen recommendations that you get a carbide tool like a woodchuck to do all of the above, but how bad are they really, if you use a sharp skew?

Are there any specific tips to working with them? I have some corian, but that is what I am the least interested in.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Many of those work just fine with a sharp skew.

TruStone is some of my favorites .. I know that both rnbcrafts and exotics put a "friendlyness" rating on their pages. Most of the ones they list as "easy to turn" or beginner friendly are no more difficult than PR. Some of the hardest ones take some practice, but I wouldn't be afraid of them...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have successfully cut everything you are likely to think of, with a skew. Not every species of bone or antler or tusk--but SOME of each.

Similarly, not all resins are the same--even tru-stone has varying levels of difficulty within their product mix.

So, it's hard to give ONE answer to your question, but when I get a new material, the first few passes are a learning experience. Soon, you get a rhythm and the material starts to "take shape".

Carbide tools are nice for bone. (IMO)

Padre

So, I finally branched out into things other than wood (specifically PR) and found that it really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Now I am wondering how difficult other common alternative materials are.

Specifically I am thinking about tru-stone, corian, and M3 blanks. I have seen recommendations that you get a carbide tool like a woodchuck to do all of the above, but how bad are they really, if you use a sharp skew?

Are there any specific tips to working with them? I have some corian, but that is what I am the least interested in.

Each material has its own characteristics. Tru-stone can be chippy. Corian the same. M3 is pretty easy to turn, a bear to polish with no scratches.

If you keep your skew/gouge or any other turning tool scary sharp, which is what I recommend, then you will be able to turn anything you want.

The advantage of the carbide tools is that they stay sharper longer, and to 'resharpen' you just turn the blade 90 degrees and you have a brand new cutting edge.

I have Easywood tools and the Woodchuck. And between carbide tools I prefer the woodchuck on pen blanks.

Yet, when all is said and done, I always reach for my bowl gouge and that does 99% of my pen turning.

Fibonacci

If you keep your skew/gouge or any other turning tool scary sharp, which is what I recommend, then you will be able to turn anything you want.

I have been doing a lot better about that since mounting my sharpener next to my lathe, so it is just a single step to the right to sharpen whatever tool is in my hands.

That has made more of a difference in my turning pleasure and quality than anything other than going from a $40 HF lathe that a friend gave me because it didn't work right to a "real" mini lathe.

My little excelsior is not the best out there, but the price was right and it serves my purposes.

Top Bottom