Alternative Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

Can someone tell me what Alternative Ivory is made out of? Just curious, I have never turned any plastic before, but I got a feeling this will be my first attempt. I got a few weddings next year. I am assuming also they can be engraved.
Thanks Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
While I don't know the chemical makeup, Alt Ivory is "chalky" compared with acrylics. It turns nicely with sharp tools, but be careful at the edges, it can easily chip as you turn it down to the bushing. I do a "roll-over" cut with a skew.

huntersilver

Thanks for the info Ed, as I remember they suggest using a
scrapper. I had a problem with chipping, my sense is that I should have been sharpening as I went along.

ashaw

Be very careful with turning it. Always use light cuts. I became very aggressive causing it to overheat. When it over heats you get pits in the material. Takes awhile to remove those pits. When I finished turning just about to the bushing. I sloe the lathe down all the way 300-500 rpm then using very light cuts just to smoth out the surface. Then I start sanding. From 320 grit up to 12,000 mm.
For the 320 - 400 grit I sand with the lathe off. Then I use mm at slow speed for the large grits of mm. The turn the speed up all the way for the final 2 or 3 grits of mm to get a high gloss polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom