Alternative Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcraigg

I have some Alternative Ivory and want to use it on a Black Titanium Baron anyone have any suggestions on turning this the best I can come up with is a skew and light cuts

Thanks Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Just got a couple of sticks from CUSA (last weeks special) -- Literature packed in to box says to use scraper and fine cuts.

If you are a skewmeister should not be a problem. I am using a carbide insert scraper and it works so well that I was not planning to tempt a catch.

angboy

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />very light! you'll get little gouge marks if you don't. Can't wait to see the pen. Ivory and black tit. sounds pretty cool.[8D]

Hey... I thought this was a family site! [}:)][;)][}:)][;)]

gerryr

One thing I've found with any of the plastics is that you will have fewer problems with chipping if you first round off the edges with a sander. The first couple of plastics I did, I didn't do that and I used a gouge. I had chunks of plastic flying all over. Now I sand down the edges and use a 1" round nose scraper and take very light cuts until it's completely round, then you can be a bit more agressive with the cuts.

nilsatcraft

I've done a handful of Alternative Ivory pens and I've always used a freshly sharpened roughing gouge to get started and then went on to a skew once I was semi-close to the bushings. I don't even have a scraper so I'm mostly just making do with what I have, though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Johnathan

very light! you'll get little gouge marks if you don't. Can't wait to see the pen. Ivory and black tit. sounds pretty cool.

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Angela,

Since I had the same thought, do I need therapy, or would I make a decent therapist?

OK, Cav, I been lyin in the weeds waitin for this chance. The above evidence, coupled with your wife's comments while you were in the hospital would undoubtedly qualify you as a

DIRTY OLD (or young) MAN!!!!

So, welcome to the club.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Oh, and Jeff,

Turn alternative ivory with any tool with which you are comfortable, all the directions will say turn slowly-I turn at the top speed of my lathe, but then I've turned a lot of plastic. ONLY important things-use sharp tools and take a break when you get close to the final cuts. Then, be patient![:D][:D]

A supply of "oops rings" isn't a bad idea when you are getting started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom