Alternative Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Lol, a good while back I made a slimline out of 1/2" black phenolic. Was the most difficult drill I've ever done, this stuff is hard as rock. Kinda stinks too. I blew up several blanks. I got 2 out of 6 (they were free, what the heck). Also wore out the drill bit. Also when I learned that heat is a plastic killer, now I use mineral spirits as a lube.

Anyhow, I don't have a pic of the pen (gave it away), and it was before I used MM to polish, so I sanded it to 4,000 grit. The final look was a matte black.

What struck me, however, was to find that the phenolic had a grain to it. I really did look kinda like ebony, maybe not open pored, but the grain was much like how wood sometimes has an "eye" on each side of the pen.

Has anyone else turned a pen from phenolic? I need to get my Enco or McMaster's catalog and see if I can find any 3/4 or larger phenolic stock. I want to try this stuff again on a larger pen to see if the grain shows any better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrplace

I have a sheet of black phenolic (6"x24"x3/4") with white white nylon laminated on each side. Came of a check weigher. Anyway, we have been eye balling it wondering if it would glue up or not. Good information, guess you made my mind up. [:D]

Rifleman1776

Most phenolics do have a grain. Some even look like wood. If you want an 'ebony-like' pen, try African Blackwood. Nice wood to turn and beautiful and does not have the cracking problems of real ebony. If you really want a synthetic, can't help, except to say don't try Delrin. It won't glue, no way, no how. Or you can use delrin drilled to the INTERIOR diameter of the TUBES and assemble.

redfishsc

Yes, phenolic will glue (and ours has that white/grey nylon stuff on it too).

Give it a shot. Cut several blanks b/c you're probably gonna blow or crack at least one. Would make an interesting cigar.

BTW I really wasn't looking for an ebony replacement, I was just looking for a catchy title and the stuff does kinda look like ebony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom