Alternative to compressed air to clean blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I tend to turn pens either late at night or early in the morning. I have an air compressor but it's loud and at the other end of the workshop. When sanding CA i know some of you use compressed air to get the sanding dust out of the tiny pores of the wood. Following my latest struggle with Cocobolo, what can you use other than compressed air to clean out the dust from the small crevices. I typically use a rag dampened with acetone but sometimes i just use a rag, it's been reasonably succesful until now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Harbor Freight has a can that you can "re-air". I've never used it, but noise is not a problem for me. For $10 it may solve your problems.

Dan Masshardt

Not sure about this, it does hold air but only for a few minutes.

My current compressor is only 3 gallons - tiny.

Compressors kick on to recharge when there is still lots of air left for that simple task.

Try the experiment. Turn it off and see how many bursts of air you get before it's empty.

If it's not enough then explore the other options.

This option costs nothing to try.

Just my thought.

SteveG

The quick drop off of compressor tank pressure could be a small air leak. A tight system will hold pressure over night if unused. It could be all you need to do is locate a leak, fix it, and have "quiet air" during your early/late turning sessions as Dan suggests.

robertkulp

Also, try turning your pressure regulator down to about 40psi. My compressor will go up to 150psi, but I don't need that to blow off a pen blank!! A short blast at 40psi should be sufficient and will use a lot less air than if the regulator is "wide open."
--Robert

Tiger

My compressor has a big tank, goes up to 110 psi but as soon as you turn it off the air drops off quickly, have to investigate, maybe the compressors are different here.

1080Wayne

The compressors won`t be much different . You probably have a leak at a fitting , which you might be able to hear if all is quiet , or feel with the damp back of your hand . Failing those , a soap solution painted on the joints will quickly show you where the problem is .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I've used an angle cut 2" soft bristle paint brush. Works for me. Also found that Acetone darkened the Cocobolo I've had. I tried Denatured alcohol and, it worked better. BTW, these things I've mentioned are not my own ideas. I learned from other members here by asking.

wouldentu2?

I find the Acetone wipe removes the dust and oil from the wood and have never, ever, ever needed compressed air to remove dust from a pen. And oh yes I mean ever :)

stonepecker

UNLESS........the comnpressor is a direct feed. Then the only extra air is in the hose.

This type of compressor lets the air out to ease the 'compressor' part of the equipment. I have two that do not have tanks......direct feed and great to use. But they have to be turned on to get air. And ANY system will allow air to escape. It is just the nature of things.

With that said. You can spend $10 to $20 for a portable air tank ... keep it full to be used at 'quiet times'. And you also have a way to bring air, where needed, at anytime.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Also check your hose fittings, disconnects can sometimes leak a lot. I have one of the Porta Cable Pancake compressors in my garage and it will hold air overnight as long as I disconnect the tool off the end of the hose.

Tiger

Unit i have is similar to this. It is a direct drive, 2.5 hp with a 40 litre tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 115

randyrls

Tiger; As others have said the tank should hold pressure for a long time. I turn off the compressor when I am not using it regularly, and it will hold pressure for weeks!

Tiger

Then Randy i don't know what i could have done wrong, i set it up as per the instructions, have got teflon tape on the fittings and it's never held pressure for more than 1/2 an hour.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Have you checked the drain **** underneath? If you have checked all the fittings other than that it may be leaking back through the compressor.

flyitfast

Costco also has a pack of six cans of compressed air that work great when the job is too small to fire up the compressor.
Yes, I am actually "paying" for air!!!!!
I drain my compressor tank at the end of the day because moisture accumulates after a day's use. Saves rusting the inside of the tank.
gordon

smik

HF has some storage tanks. Looks like the fittings need to be changed out.

Also consider airbrush compressors. I haven't used my self and can't answer to level of noise or strength but may be worth a look at, they advertise super quiet.

Amazon.com: silent airbrush compressor

BJohn

Like was mentioned earlier, you probably have a leak at a fitting. Just because you used Teflon tape does not mean (1) you used enough some times time it takes 6 0r 7 turns (2) it is seated correctly. Again like was mentioned earlier use dish soap with water, brush it on the fittings you will see straight up if there is a leak.

This can be a pest to track down. Especially if you have a lot of runs, like in PVC pipe to different points around the shop. Just have to be patient and check every connection.

Joey-Nieves

I don't use air at all. I've done some experimenting, thinner, mineral spirits ext.. They work pretty good but the dark woods, those are as creepy as the "Dark Woods"( Halloween humor, sorry). A friend (Kirk, not the captain, the other one)) introduced me to Dr. Kirk's Scratch FREEE Woodturners Polishing Wax and it works great, the trick use just a dab and remove it all with a cloth or paper towel.

I make about 30 or 40 pens a week, I use the kirk thing and apply 20 coats of CA. and never had a problem.
Joey

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...FREEE-Woodturners-Polishing-Wax?term=dr. kirk

t001xa22

Another possibility could be in the upper end of your compressor cylinder head. Most compressors like this use reed valves to control compression and air flow. Depending on how many cylinders your unit has, you would have an intake and discharge set of reed valves for each cylinder. If any of them are not seating fully, it can allow a small leak back into the compressor. Many compressors have a check valve on the discharge piping to also help prevent bleed-back into the cylinder(s). Just a thought.

sbell111

Last edited:
Top Bottom