An alternative to the Celtic Knot? - New Pic Added

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Lots of people struggle to get a Celtic Knot or simply don't have the tools. Here is a simple little homemade tool that gives a similar pattern. All it is, is a mini holesaw. Take a piece of steel rod, drill a hole down the middle, cut a short slot in it with a junior hacksaw then file each side at an angle. The wood sample may not look great because I filled the voids with silver glitter and it appears ragged. I am doing another one that I will post later.:D

The holesaw is about 6mm dia
2007527172747_Miniholesawjpg.jpg

First attempt in an off cut of Bocote

2007527172918_rings.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yep Ed, easy to do. The hard part is waiting for each colour fill to dry before doing the next one[:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here's a sharper finish. I like the contrast on the blue with white rings. The other is translucent amber and unforunately the black can be seen through it.
I don't know if anyone spotted my mistake? All I will say is thank goodness I've got reverse on my lathe and drill[:I]

2007528201458_newrings.jpg
<br />

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jim, Just acylic paint on both white and black infills.The black one has a quick coat of <s>acylic</s> cellulose sanding sealer to see if I could get a shine. The white one has nothing over it. The original silver one is CA with glitter.

Edit in 'cellulose'. I love the smell of that stuff!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Chris and John ( Hanua )

The blank is held in the lathe. The lathe does not turn ( I unplug mine just incase ) The bit is held in a drill or router. An index ring takes all guess work out of the spacing. There are several ways to guide the drill or router, I use a compound table with the machine firmly clamped to it. Someone on this site makes and sells a simple guide that replaces your lathe tool rest that would work perfectly for this. Sorry but I can't remember who. Could it be Paul in OKC?
You would only have to decide how many rings would be appropriate for a given diameter blank. The yellow one above has 12 rings and the blue/white one has 8.

Cheers[:D]

Woodlvr

I believe that it is Fred in NC. I have purchased the tool that you are talking about but have not had a chance to use it.[:(] With his jig and either indexing on your lathe or just a way to hold your blank and you are set. Great Job Skiprat. I cannot see anything wrong but the rings all look right to me.[:)]

kent4Him

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Chris and John ( Hanua )

The blank is held in the lathe. The lathe does not turn ( I unplug mine just incase ) The bit is held in a drill or router. An index ring takes all guess work out of the spacing. There are several ways to guide the drill or router, I use a compound table with the machine firmly clamped to it. Someone on this site makes and sells a simple guide that replaces your lathe tool rest that would work perfectly for this. Sorry but I can't remember who. Could it be Paul in OKC?
You would only have to decide how many rings would be appropriate for a given diameter blank. The yellow one above has 12 rings and the blue/white one has 8.

Cheers[:D]

Given that, I will still with the Celtic Rings. Your rings still look cool.

LEAP

Steve,
I've seen something commercially available that was very similar to the tool you made it is used to drill around the outside of a screw where the head is broken off.

They come in sizes for #4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 wood screws. Of course no one else thought to use them as you did. Thanks for sharing another great idea.

200753024924_screwextractor.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by LEAP
<br />Steve,
I've seen something commercially available that was very similar to the tool you made it is used to drill around the outside of a screw where the head is broken off.

They come in sizes for #4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 wood screws. Of course no one else thought to use them as you did. Thanks for sharing another great idea.

200753024924_screwextractor.jpg
<br />

Do you have a link to this tool?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Phil, that little tool for extracting screws looks very interesting, do you have one? The reason I ask is that from the demo pic, it appears to open up over the screw, like a Rawl bolt does.From that, I would assume that it is tapered on the inside? But to keep the tiny bits between the cut rings from getting ruined, the inside of the bit will have to be hollow and parallel to the outside.
They really are easy to make, there is no reason anyone couldn't make one either on a drill press ( perhaps with a Paul Huffman Vise [:D]) or in a wood lathe. I don't think hardness is really an issue as we normally are just drilling wood or plastic and just a quick once over with a file will bring it back.
If anyone does something like this, my only tip would be, don't drill too far into the blank, just enough for the bit to be in about a mm or so into the blank. The reason for this is that if you go too deep, you will leave no material to support the adjacent little pieces.
Have fun[:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Chuckie, you posted just before me, so I didn't see the plug cutters till now. They work the same way, but looking at the thickness of the blade I don't think they would leave any material between the overlapped rings? When you did those samples, how wide was the ring before you popped the plugs out? This one I made has about 1mm 'kerf'
Those bigger ones would work really nicely around a bowl or vase though.
Cheers

LEAP

Steve,
I don't have the set have only seen them at Sears, I'll take a look the next time I'm in there to see how they are made.
Scott The web sight I got the pic from is mcfeelys.com I'm sure there are other suppliers.

fstepanski

skiprat, excellent idea!! Thanks for sharing this. This is a great idea to grow on, would like to incorporate this concept in other turnings..
Happy turnin'
Frank

Texatdurango

Following this discussion, I thought this might be imformative. I have a few screw extractors that I took photos and measurements of, perhaps this will help with some ideas:

Both extractors are straight wall, no tapers.

1/4" extractor is .247 OD/.192 ID with wall thickness of .023"
3/8" extractor is .371 OD/.317 ID with wall thickness of .027"

Don't ask where I got them, I've had them for probably 20 years and would guess any woodworker supply house would carry them or something similar.

Please excuse the image sizes, I wanted you to see some detail, especially the clean holes they produce.

200753116442_screw-out1.jpg
<br />

20075311654_screw-out2.jpg
<br />

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
George, those are excellent, nice clean holes. Double sided too, so would last for ever. I've never used a screw extractor before but logic says the machine would have to be in reverse as well. So maybe some subliminal message made me file mine the wrong (correct)way.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom