Alternative Amber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I just got some blanks from EB which included an alternative amber that I ordered. It looks really nice and bet will be attractive. Anyone ever use that? If so, any suggestions for color to paint the tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

what color would you paint the tubes Ed? Leave them brass or paint yellow or white? Any suggestions welcome. I want to get this one right the first time if I can. it is really a beautiful blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cheer up, you'll shatter the first one, anyhow!!:eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:

Ok, seriously, there have been a couple shown on IAP, they all look good--search "amber and ambur" (IIRC it has been mis-spelled)

Personally, I like a metallic (so it reflects light) paint close to the color of the blank. It will be very translucent when you get it to the finished size, so white will look pretty white---tend toward a cream (IMO) or "orangier".

JimMc7

This alt amber is reverse painted with Apple Barrel Pumpkin Orange --seemed like a good idea at the time but I prefer the result of others' colors! I didn't have any trouble turning the resin but it is near transparent so reverse painting is a must (and polishing inside the blank wouldn't hurt either -- I can see a few drill marks in the blank interior even with painting).

Just another example:

Attachments

• IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 221

RAdams

Banned
I don't know if the one i did is still around, but i used testors model paint i nteh color "Stop light amber", which is about as close to a color match as you can get.

Ed is right, this material is tough to work. Similar to what i imagine turning glass would be like. If you look at it too hard, it will chip. super light cuts, super sharp tools, and plenty of patience.

FOUND IT!!!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58648&highlight=alt+amber

Last edited:

aggromere

Yea, im going to go up to the hobby store and get some Stop Light Amber. I think that looks the best, in my opinion. I'm going to use it for the top barrels on a couple of pens.

jskeen

I love this stuff! Some of my favorite pens are done in it, including my last limited edition, serial numbered statesman. This was actually destined for a plain gent, but the paint job on the tube didn't work out the way I planned. It grew on me after a while though, and I ended up doing this with it.

Attachments

• 460of500b.jpg
    460of500b.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 178

RAdams

Banned
Yea, im going to go up to the hobby store and get some Stop Light Amber. I think that looks the best, in my opinion. I'm going to use it for the top barrels on a couple of pens.

It will take SEVERAL coats of paint. If your drilling is good, the blank will scrape some paint off when you insert it with glue. I also put several coats of the glue inside the blank. Looking forward to pictures!!

RAdams

Banned

It will take SEVERAL coats of paint. If your drilling is good, the blank will scrape some paint off when you insert it with glue. I also put several coats of the glue inside the blank. Looking forward to pictures!!

PAINT..... I put several coats of PAINT inside the blank. rofl

Top Bottom