Alternate turning materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

Well I won an auction for some Corian and I was wondering what else was available to turn. I found this information posted below about Corian and some alternatives and was wondering if anyone had tried any of the other substances.

I was wondering primarily about the meganite since they said it was signifigantly less expensive than the Corian, which is already cheap.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Corian is a solid surface material composed of acrylic polymer and alumina trihydrate made by DuPont. It is said to be a thermosetting plastic, but can be thermoformed by heating it to 300°F (149°C), allowing unique shapes to be created. Its primary use is for countertops.

Corian is available in thicknesses of one-quarter, one-half and three-quarters of an inch, with half-inch being the most common thickness for most applications. All thicknesses feature the consistency of color and patterning throughout, common to all solid surfacing materials. This allows scratches, stains and light scorches to be removed with sandpaper. Joints can be made invisible by joining them with a special seam adhesive and sanding the connection smooth.

Direct competition
Meganite solid surface, one of the newest brands on the market, has 80 close replicated color matches equivalent to Corian, but at a significantly lower price.

The LG Group markets their 100% acrylic solid surface under the LG HI-MACS brand and is manufactured in the United States just outside of Atlanta, Georgia. LG HI-MACS offers similar styles and quality to DuPont, but also offers a longer installed warranty and a lower price point than Corian in most markets. Although LG HI-MACS is susceptible to scratching, it can be renewed, in most cases, simply by the consumer using a Scotch-Brite scouring pad. As far as heat is concerned, LG HI-MACS is heat resistant, but it is recommended that trivets be used, as opposed to placing hot pots and pans directly onto the surface.

Samsung's Staron solid surface is also on the rise in the competition. Wilsonart has their Gibraltar solid surface. A more expensive, different approach to the countertop industry is Avonite. Avonite is a solid surface, but made primarily from a polyester base, not an acrylic one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tnilmerl

Informative. Thanks.

I've turned Corian, luv it.
I've turned Wilsonart, luv it.
I've turned Staron, luv it.
I've turned Nairoc, luv it.
I've turned various acyrlics, luv 'em.
I've turned Avonite. Hate it. Very brittle. Chatters and shatters. Unable to get a ribbon cut. Ended up just scraping it and sanding down to final dimensions. Lots of dust this way. Absolutely beautiful material. Just a BEAR to work with.

hrigg

I'm curious about turning the Wilsonart. I have some left over flooring and it never occurred to me thaat it could be glued up into turning blanks.

Could someone elaborate for me, please? Thank you.

tnilmerl

OOLightning, I've turned Silestone as well. Depending an the variety chosen, you can turn it. It is very hard and tough on the tools. Manufacturor recommends diamond tools and abrasives, but steel tools can be used for samll pieces. Turns very beautifully and can be polished to a high shine.

tnilmerl

I still have one left in inventory, all others I pre-sold [:D]. I have a digital camera, but its not the best for macro (closeups). I'll give it a try. I'll also post an Avonite pen I made for my daughter. Give me a couple of days....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom