Alternate Casein

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

A question for those who have turned alternate casein (thanks to Exotics for the freebie!!!). For the tubes and the inside of the blank, did you use white paint? I am making a Cambridge Hybrid which is a pretty thinned walled pen and wondered if the white would change the cream colouring of the blank.

Thanks for the help.

Wade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I made a Cambridge Ultra with Casein "light" without painting the inside of the blank or the tube and it looks fine. But, I do put a little "poof" in my pens and don't turn B2B.

My reasoning for not painting is that I have made MANY of the regular Casein Cambridge without issue and the "light" seems to be just as thick.

Most times on acrylic, PR, Alumilite, etc. I have found reverse painting (painting the inside of the blank) to be MUCH more efficient than painting the tubes. Even with the best glues, You can sometimes (usually) see glue pockets under the blank when the tubes are painted.

I hope this helps.

zig613

Andy,

Thanks for the information. For acrylics and PR I normally pain the inside of the blank for the reasons you note. For the alternate casein I thought I would do the same... just a precautionary measure so that the glue or brass tube could be seen.

Wade

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've always believed (and have said frequently) that no one has ever called to tell me they painted a blank and they regret it. I have had several calls about not painting and regreting it. So, I have taken the position, if you paint, you can't "go wrong".

FWIW

PenMan1

I've always believed (and have said frequently) that no one has ever called to tell me they painted a blank and they regret it. I have had several calls about not painting and regreting it. So, I have taken the position, if you paint, you can't "go wrong".

FWIW

That Ed! I'll bet he wears a belt AND suspenders!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Actually, he just gave you very good advice. Way to go, Ed.

aggromere

when in doubt paint!. I have made several pens from casein and alt casein and did not paint the tubes or the inside of the blank and they look fine. If you are going real thin at the ends it wouldn't hurt to paint the first 1/4 inch or so of the inside of the blank with a white paint. Just like Ed says, can't go wrong painting, but you can by not painting.

Rangertrek

I have made two with alt casein, forgot to paint one of the tubes. Could not really tell any difference. I will remember to paint the tubes in the future. I used just white testers.

Top Bottom