Alt Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryankelley

I ordered a blank of Alt Ivory from CS, I've never turned this before and would like some advice about turning and finishing. I will be turning between centers(also another first) and will be using a JR. Statesman kit. I could use any advice there is.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I ordered a blank of Alt Ivory from CS, I've never turned this before and would like some advice about turning and finishing. I will be turning between centers(also another first) and will be using a JR. Statesman kit. I could use any advice there is.
Hi Ryan; Ed4copies posted a vid some time ago when some of us were having difficulty turning his alternate ivory. He totally used a skew, no gouge, and that's the way I do it now with great success.

I searched in the library, sorry I can't find it for you. I'm certain someone will come along and show you where it got to.

broitblat

Ryan,

The usual advice on sharp tools and lights cuts applies here. I don't thinks it's all that difficult to work with, but the thing to watch out for is getting ahead of yourself with too aggressive of a cut. This could lead to pitting (chip out?) similar to what you may have seen from other plastics.

Happy turning.

-Barry

johnnycnc

Ditto what Barry said on sharp tools and light cuts.
It was a learning curve for me, too agressive and you can clean it off to the tube in a heartbeat. poof.:biggrin:
Take your time and as long as you are getting ribbons, it's good.
If it sounds like you are shredding glass or cement, you might want to back up
and regroup! (and resharpen).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Highest probability of a chip out is at the ends, roll your skew over the ends - FIRST.

After that, make ribbons.

heinedan

Ryan,

I agree with what Ed said. I ruined one blank recently by using my normal method of roughing with a normal roughing gouge. The material chips out very easily. Take your time, or you will be sorry. Once completed, I sanded 150 to 600grit, micro-meshed, and polished with Novus #3 and ten Novus #2. If you have not used Novus yet, I highly recommend it. It putas a shine and polish on the pen that cannot be matched.

Dan Heine

artistwood

i sharpen and sharpen and still chip the stuff......it's me, not you definitly applies here. i'm getting better at turning the ivory but i am learning the art of pen turning, the skew and how different materials behave. for now, when i get close to the shape i want, i use a 220 grit gouge, then sand and polish as usual. i am getting better at getting the ribbons but my sharpening skills need some help. i do like the ivory a lot i got from exotic blanks. it turns better (less chipping) than the other stuff i tried (exploded that one) and the people are great!

Jgrden

Not to highjack this thread but where can i get Carbon Fiber? What is it like to turn??

Ivory. I have turned some Mule Deer antler that looked just like Ivory when it was finished.

Top Bottom