Alright im going to ask

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

I have heard of and read some articles about pens in the Hundreds of dollars.
My question is.
Do some of you really get over a hundred dollars for a pen?

Where I live it would be about impossible to get that.

Maybe if some one answers with a yes it could be something to eventually shoot for.

dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes! The final answer is: Location, location, location! :wink: Seriously, four aspects to this:

For repetitive sales (more than a one time over $100 sale:
1. Quality work, design, fit and finish.
2. Knowing your target audience/buyer,
3. Location or easy accessibility via internet/marketing media.
4. Marketing strategy - Many report that if a few high quality high priced pens are presented in the $500 - $750 price range, the $200 - $400 pens sell well and the $50 - $75 hardly sell. Also, my observation is that fountain pens sell well much more often in the higher ranges than the ball point / roller ball pens. In some locations, an abundance of cheap pens, or even the presentation of a few cheap pens - will drive away quality ( and high priced) pen buyers.

A pen that I could not sell for $75.00 in some small towns will sell for $150.00 in some large city audiences and would also sell for $250.00 in NY, Honolulu or $500.00 in Japan.

$100 - $1000.00 pens are sold by different ones on this forum. Only a few make and sell $1000 pens, and it seems that most pens are sold in the $50 - $150. At least that is my observation.

OK everyone - add your comments and correct my observations where they are wrong. I am in my Japanese mode today! :wink:

From where you are located - you could get at least double your price just by selling in Branson, if the fit and finish of the pens are equal to it.

Last edited:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I know very well that some penturners here sell pens for hundreds of dollars a piece. I would venture to say that their prices are not unreasonable.

If a pen collector happens to hear of a pen that's unique, fine craftsmanship and materials including a stunning finish and presentation (including box or such) earns every bit of the price he charges for that pen.

Some of these amazing people put in months to creating one pen - and may then do a Limited Edition run of that type of pen.

I met a dear person who had just sold one for between $1,000 and $2,000. I was in awe not because of the sale price but because of the quality of design and craftsmanship I doubt I would ever attain.

OKLAHOMAN

Most definitely. Hank is spot on you have to go where the money is. In rural Mo. a ball point Serria might be hard pressed to bring $30 but in St. Louis or KC it could bring $75-$100 and a Jr. Statemen could bring $100-$200 .

Even in the right location you need the right venue, at a flea market in St. louis your back to being hard pressed to get $20 for a pen but at a well promoted craft show a totally different story.

dale

That is amazing.
Well im just making mostly slimline pens now.
But i do want to do others have done some cigar but not any of the high end stuff yet. But Im still learning.

I may be doing the wrong thing but I have been giving away a few to friends.

but it makes me feel good atleast till someone come up and asks for there free pen i guess.
ha
dale

Bella-penna I should have looked at your site before asking the question.
they are some very beautiful pens you have there.

Last edited:

dntrost

Hanks post has just given me a thought, which don't come often! :wink: If you do have quality pens and fit and finish are truly artist quality and your goal is to sell high end pens. Here is the question, instead of what I have seen here with people bringing 200 -300 pens to a show wouldn't it be better to bring less than 10 pens and set up to market them as true art. Thinking of artist who has shows they might have 30 pictures or sculptures in their display. Also offer to commission a custom made pen if your current selection doesn't meet the need. I think having 200 pens just looks like factory turned and not a unique piece of art.
Hope I am not hijacking this thread....
Thoughts?

jleiwig

Hanks post has just given me a thought, which don't come often! :wink: If you do have quality pens and fit and finish are truly artist quality and your goal is to sell high end pens. Here is the question, instead of what I have seen here with people bringing 200 -300 pens to a show wouldn't it be better to bring less than 10 pens and set up to market them as true art. Thinking of artist who has shows they might have 30 pictures or sculptures in their display. Also offer to commission a custom made pen if your current selection doesn't meet the need. I think having 200 pens just looks like factory turned and not a unique piece of art.
Thoughts?

Depends on the medium of the art as to the number of pieces displayed. More useful items such as pens or jewelry and the like I always see more displayed at the craft shows. I would rather come with quite a few displayed than have just 10 items and replace them after one sells. That to me does not speak quality. It's like the guy that trys to make you a deal because it's his last thing hanging on the rack. You buy it and when you come back by his booth 20 minutes later he's telling someone the same thing. I call that a shill.

rbragg08

I launched my website about 3 months ago. I have not sold anything on it yet but I also have not done any marketing. My prices are the prices what I want to get, not what I think will sell. If, once I start to market the site, I don't sell any then I will do one of two things.

1. Lower the prices.
2. Increase the value.

I will probably go with number 2 because once you lower the price it's almost impossible to raise it.

exoticwo

You can certainly sell pens over $100.
Here is a list of things that help me sell pens from $100 up to $200ea
Quality of pen kit,
quality/rariety of wood
Finish
Presentation of pen (display)
Location, Location, Location

Russianwolf

I've sold a couple $100+ pens, including one Huali pen for $300 (or $350, I forget).

One thing that I've done is to find a specialty that's harder to come by, in my case I spent over a year tracking down reliable sources for Irish Bog Oak. Once I had enough to do what I wanted I started marketing my site with the IBO in mind. Now I'm on the first page for just about any search involving IBO. This is a good thing and a bad thing, as every time I think I'm making headway to do a show in the coming year someone finds my site and buys a bunch of my IBO pens (I know, of all the problems to have :biggrin:).

Anyway, find a niche. Something that you do or make that not many (any?) others can make or do. Once you find that, market it and you will see that you will become an expert on the subject and the prices you can charge will go up.

GoodTurns

Thoughts?

I set up my booth with my "regular" pens ($25 slimlines to $125 Jr Gents/Jr Statesmen) on the "touch me" displays. I then set up my "top shelf" with several glass display boxes and pens on individual stands and displays (i.e. scattered mescalbeans for the TX Mtn Laurel Gent, Mammoth ivory certificate and engraved box for the Mammoth pens). I do refer to these as my "art" pens and it does help both with selling the lower end pens and enhancing the idea of all of the pens being a bit better....

tseger

I may be doing the wrong thing but I have been giving away a few to friends.

but it makes me feel good atleast till someone come up and asks for there free pen i guess.
ha
dale

Dale, I think you are doing EXACTLY the RIGHT thing. I have probably sold more pens from someone showing off a "give away" pen than any other way. Just my.02.
Tim

mickr

I cannot see 200 dollars for a kit pen that has plating that will wear off with use..now a pen crafted of stainless steel..all made by hand..that's a different story...longevity, craftpersonship, material, finish..200.00 + may then be fair to the buyer

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
In the greater New York area, I sell pens that are well over the $100 mark. I have regular customers that will come and spend several hundred dolars on pens for their kids. It all depends on the location as far as I am concerned.

JohnU

Dale, I think you are doing EXACTLY the RIGHT thing. I have probably sold more pens from someone showing off a "give away" pen than any other way. Just my.02.
Tim

I agree, I dont sell at shows yet and only make my money selling pens by word of mouth and donations. I donate to some of the local organizations (Wild Turkey Fed, Pheasants Forever, IL. Taxidermist Association). This always drums up business, not to mention I show them off at work and someone always wants one. I admitt that its not a full time business yet and I only do it for enjoyment, so Im not making the money I want, but Im also not putting in the time that I need either. Someday...

MarkHix

I have no illusions of my skill level. I am an average turner. Occasionally I turn out something above average and have exceeded the $100 figure a couple of times. It is all about your market and your effort. As my skill level increases, I expect to exceed that figure more often. I think you have to work at it and constantly test the market. You also have to challenge yourself to create something unique to stand out.

chriselle

I cannot see 200 dollars for a kit pen that has plating that will wear off with use..now a pen crafted of stainless steel..all made by hand..that's a different story...longevity, craftpersonship, material, finish..200.00 + may then be fair to the buyer

Well, I imagine that $1000 Delta I was admiring the other day would start to look a little tired after a few years of rattling around in my pants pocket with my keys and cell phone.

There is a way to stop the plating from wearing off.......

....Charge $400...

thewishman

1. To sell a pen for over $100 - the most important part is to ask for more than $100.

2. Once you sell a $100+ pen, the $200+ pen is much easier.

3. You'll never get more for a pen that you ask for it.

nava1uni

I do some local neighborhood sales. My pens range from $30 to $150 with some specialty pens costing more. I display pens and pencils on different levels depending on the cost and also use special display stands for the special items.
I have a display for custom order sheets and often make custom pens.
I also give many pens away to friends and colleagues, which tends to generate sales. Works better then advertising. I don't have a website and don't really understand them.

RAdams

Banned
Dale, I do not make pens as high as alot of folks, but then again i don't have the experience that alot of people have. Consider this though: Some of the kits range in price from $50 to $150. Just for one kit. Then you get into custom fountain nibs up to $150, and there are even some pen blanks out there that are over $100 EACH. SO, if you put all of that together, you can easily reach a pen worth hundreds of dollars just in parts alone. Hope this helps.

leehljp

Member Liaison

LOL,

I remember this forum 4 years ago and a few discussions of the elusive $200 pen! . . . And in this series of posts is the discussion of $1000 pens.

I can easily see $400 and $500 pens from quality kits. Unique pens, one of a kind, fine hand sculpted designs themselves can start at $200 and go upwards for that alone - and then add to it the cost of material. We do have artists here and some of the pens (that are made from high end kits) are pure art.

Top Bottom