Almost ready!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
When I started this I knew it would take me some time to slowly acquire the things I needed to make a really nice pen. Just like everybody else, it is the needs of family outweigh my needs for a hobby. Some really nice people gave me some blanks and I have practiced with them. I have bought a mandrel, mandrel saver, cutting tools, grinder to keep them sharp, small drill press for drilling, pen press, pen polish and CA glue for finishing, sand paper for finishing.
Oh, yeah, a small lathe from HF.
I have wanted to do this for years and decided that it was time. I am having a great time reading on this site and imagining what I can make. Really some terrific people on here. Just learning the names of things is a process. Money is the same for all of us, LIMITED! Some things just are. I am still not in a hurry, just keep moving forward.
So, here is what I think I still need, tell me if I am wrong or right or if I need other things. Barrel trimming setup and something to center the blanks for drilling. I don't have a chuck for my lathe to hold a blank for barrel trimming, do I need that? Is there a jig setup to center the blanks for drilling. Yeah, I don't know much but, remember, once a while back you didn't either.
Thanks,
Boswell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Barrel trimmer or if you have a disc sander that works. If you're doing to drill on a drill press you don't absolutely need a chuck.

You can take a wooden handscrew clamp and put a notch in it to hold the blanks if you don't want to buy a drilling vice right away.

turncrazy43

George, look at a dedicated pen blank drilling chuck from PSI. Screws onto the head stock and will allow you to drill in the center of the blank each time right on your lathe. They are a bit pricy but still less expensive than a good 4 jaw chuck. IMHO.

gimpy

I would like to offer you a SFRB of blanks
and a few kits if that would help you out

PM me if you would like to take me
up on the offer.........

Any one else willing to help out.......??

WriteON

I bought maple and oak dowels from Home Depot...they were not intended for pen blanks but I did use them. They are 1" x 36". Cost a few dollars...goes a long way. They are great for practice and real time pen work.
Most importantly protect your eyes, ears and lungs. Have fun.

CrimsonKeel

My advice is to watch the woodcraft sale flyer. Usually a couple times a year they have a 100 piece exotic pen blank box on sale for around 30 dollars. lots in the box are not high end but Ive got quite a few that make each box worthwhile. plus I use the not so great ones for other projects

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
As an alternative to a pen drilling vise, you can make a simple jig similar to this. It's just a couple of pieces of plywood glued & screwed to a plywood base at right angles. I used this for my pen blank drilling for about 6 months before I got a drilling vise & I still use it for stopper blanks & such.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 161
Top Bottom