Allowance for paint on acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

When you paint your tubes and inside your blanks is there a simple rule you can apply to drill bit size? For example if the tube normally calls for 25/64, do you drill 13/32 or 27/64. I know you can sand the inside hole but to keep everything concentric or reasonably so, drilling would be a better option. So in other words does anyone add a 1/64th or 1/32nd to compensate? Hate it when the paint in the hole gets scraped off because of not enough clearance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I experience the same. I have learned to use less paint. I would like to know the solution too. Thanks for asking the question.

Quality Pen

When you paint your tubes and inside your blanks is there a simple rule you can apply to drill bit size? For example if the tube normally calls for 25/64, do you drill 13/32 or 27/64. I know you can sand the inside hole but to keep everything concentric or reasonably so, drilling would be a better option. So in other words does anyone add a 1/64th or 1/32nd to compensate? Hate it when the paint in the hole gets scraped off because of not enough clearance.
I like that idea...

even using less paint, sometimes I don't get the coverage then... even using that pricey Testors paint :D

Never thought about drilling a fraction larger...

Jim Smith

I always use the prescribed drill bit for each pen. I paint both the tube and inside the blank of virtually every acrylic pen blank I use. I use a quality spray paint and it takes me about 10 seconds to paint the tube and another 10 seconds for inside the blank. A couple of spritzes of paint inside the blank and it's all done. I never have any problems with paint scraping off the inside of the blank. If a tiny bit gets scraped off of the tube when inserting it into the blank, it's covered by the paint that's inside the blanks.

Jim Smith

toddlajoie

I use the recommended bit, paint the inside of the blank and mix paint into the epoxy when I glue in the tubes. There are a few kits that the tubes are too tight for (another reason to always test their fit before the glue is ready...)

IT seems, and I have not tested this, that those of us who paint with liquid paint get some scraping when we insert the tube. It appears that this type of application just puts too thick of a coat on the blank and/or tube. I seems that spraying will get complete coverage AND be a thinner coat so you don't get the scraping. JMHO

RKB

Same as Todd, I stopped applying paint inside my blanks via brushing/qtip, I now spray them, and have had much better tube insertion success using the kit size bit. I also just spot spray the expoxy while mixing with the same paint.

Charlie_W

I drill 0.010" larger than the tube. Spray paint the tube and spray inside the blank. I also take a file and knock off the sharp edge at the end of the tubes before painting so they don't become a scraper as they are inserted. I use epoxy but have not started coloring it yet.

Quality Pen

What brand or product spray paint do you use that gives good results? I tested it twice but the spray paint did not give good coverage.

Top Bottom