Alligator Juniper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freds

Here is a picture of three pens that I recently turned. The wood is Alligator Juniper. I searched the IAP site for other examples and found only one reference to this wood. It was in a thread started by alamocdc. In a response by ITS-virgil there was a link to a description of the tree. I have copied it here.

http://www.toddshikingguide.com/FloraFauna/Flora90.htm

This wood is easy to turn and aromatic while turning. It finishes to a very smooth finish. These pens were sanded and then MM to 12000. I then gave them a light coat of friction polish.

Have any of you used this wood before?

The pieces I used were from a reasonably young branch. I initially mistook it for being wood from the manzanita bush with a dark red bark. The pieces I had were 2-3 inches in diameter.

2006928215956_DSCF4483.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Nice, Fred! The large planks I saw were from a large rather twisted log and the grain was amazing. Thanks to Kevin, I found a source for some from AZ, but the log was from a straight piece and the guy said it was rather bland. I'll find some like I want one day.

Thumbs

I had gotten some Juniper off eBay last year which looked very similar to this with a bit more red and darker. It made some beautiful pens and was nice to work with, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom