All those new platings, are they good

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

arioux

Hi,

I looked thru the forum but did not find that much info about some of the plating that we start to see more around. Please let me know what experience you have with them.

1 - Silver (plated and solid sterling)

2 - Bright copper (lot of question ask but very few answer)

3 - Satin copper

4 - Gun metal

5 - Black chrome (not the black enamel type)

Finally, has anyone tried the new cigar pen from wood pen pro where the black enamel have been replace by black chrome?

thanks in advance for your feedback

Alfred

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I can't comment on any of them except the silver plating and my experience there is somewhat limited. In February, I made myself a Baron fountain pen with silver plating. I use it just about every day and the plating looks as good now as when I first made it. The plating on my 10K Jr. Gentleman's rollerball was starting to wear off a couple of months ago and it's only about one month older than the FP.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alfred,

Your questions are excellent-unfortunately, the problems develop over time-if no one has had any problems, it does NOT preclude problems occurring, just has not happened YET. Sorry I can't be of more help-yes, I have made pens from almost all the available platings and I have all my fingers appropriately crossed.[:D][:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
For what it's worth, my experience with the questioned platings. Others may have a different experience with them.

<b>1 - Silver (plated and solid sterling)</b>
There is a lot of confusion about this one. The only Sterling available are those kits from Berea. They are solid silver alloy. The others are called Sterling, but they are really Silver Plate. Ask any woman familiar with flat dinnerware and she will tell you the difference.

All Silver tarnishes, and it has to be polished if you want a bright finish. Silver plate wears off, and the more it is used or polished the faster it wears. The secret to durability of a Silver plate is the thickness of the plating. At the prices for the kits, it can't be very thick. My experience is that it wears better than 24k Gold, but not as good as the Titanium/Gold.

<b>2 - Bright copper </b>
The answer to this one is easy. Copper is Copper. It is soft and it tarnishes. It can turn my fingers green. The Copper can turn green. I know that it has other alloys, but my experience is that if there is enough Copper that it has the color of Copper, it will act like Copper. My experience with a couple Copper pens was no different.

Some of the kits have a lacquer coating on them, but that wears off rather quickly. Some folks have reported good results with a clear powder coating.

<b>3 - Satin copper</b>
No different from the bright Copper. The only difference is that it has a brushed satin finish.

<b>4 - Gun metal</b>
This depends on what it is. I had a pen kit several years ago that was an honest-to-Gawd oxide finish on steel, and it wore about like I would expect from a blued rifle barrel. I have no idea where it came from. The most recent pen kits have had a painted-on coating that very thin, scratched easily, and wore off faster than a 24k Gold.

<b>5 - Black chrome</b>
It doesn't matter whether it is bright or black, Chrome is the hardest and most durable plating that is put on a pen.

You didn't mention Titanium/Gold or the Titanium or Rhodium platings. Both are more durable than any of those you asked about, other than Chrome. I think that their quality is reflected in their higher price.

arioux

Thanks everyone for your info, specially Russ, always efficient. I did not ask about Ti gold, Ti and Rodium, Platinium or Chrome because they are the only one i use right now, i quit 24 and 10k gold a while ago. The problem is always to try to keep the price on certain model like slimline and confort low (max $15.00) but i refuse to go for unreliable plating. Chrome and black chrome looks a good alternative and will probably be most of my slimline from now on.

Thanks again

Alfred

myname1960

Try this link to ebay. The title of this small guide is Pen Kit Plating Options Guide. It doesnt cover everything but has some information you might find useful.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Pen-Kit-Plating-Options-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000001251605?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom