All this talk about Creeklines - here's my first

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I have to agree with many of you, this is a very night kit.

This is my first shot at one. I may replace the finial with a black mesh stylus.

My light box was almost finished, but I dropped it off my deck while spray painting the legs white. I need to replace some of the legs.

So here's my hand again :biggrin:

I painted the tube white (I always have problems with CA and painted tubes bonding).

Attachments

• Orange CL 1.jpg
    Orange CL 1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Orange CL 2.jpg
    Orange CL 2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 363
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgio13

Tony, a while back I switched to 15 minute epoxy from PSI after gluing a tube halfway in the blank. I haven't had that problem since, and it also doesn't react with the paint. I also stopped painting the tube when some paint scraped off it when inserting it into the blank. I got myself some Testors paint used for models and now paint the inside of the blank and also put a dab of paint in the epoxy for good measure. The pen came out nice by the way, I like the round top better than the flat top version,

Bill

LeeR

My first pen was a flat-top Streamline (same kit). I've bought a number of these kits in both flat and round top. It is my favorite slim-style kit.

And I've used that same orange acrylic blank, too. Good looking pen.

I still have that first pen I made -- I keep it in my car so I always have a decent pen with me. I just recently pulled it apart to refinish the walnut blank. The friction polish finish was pretty dull after about 3-4 years. The gold finish still looks pretty good.

TonyL

Epoxy or CA

Tony, a while back I switched to 15 minute epoxy from PSI after gluing a tube halfway in the blank. I haven't had that problem since, and it also doesn't react with the paint. I also stopped painting the tube when some paint scraped off it when inserting it into the blank. I got myself some Testors paint used for models and now paint the inside of the blank and also put a dab of paint in the epoxy for good measure. The pen came out nice by the way, I like the round top better than the flat top version,

Bill

Thanks Bill:

So let me repeat so I understand -
Paint inside of blank with Testors paint - I guess 2 coats let dry for a few hours?

Use 15 minute epoxy with a tab of the Testor paint - let cure 12 hours or so?

Is that right?

I wonder if the same thing happens with the pre-painted white tubes?

TonyL

Mixol

I started using Mixol and 5 Minute Epoxy.

No painting the tubes or blanks.
No waiting for the paint to dry.
No paint to scratch.

Mixol mixes in nicely with the Epoxy and cures just fine giving a nice color and adhesion.

http://www.woodcraft.com/category/5/1002133/2005522/MIXOL Universal Tints.aspx

Two quick questions:

When you insert the tube with the tinted (epoxy on it) into the does the epoxy make it all the way down the blank?

How long do you wait for the 5 minute epoxy to cure before trimming the barrel an turning?

Let's assume we are working with an non-wood (e.g. AA) blank.

Thank you!

Jim Burr

Banned
Not sure if this is a black or chrome kit...but it looks good!
Like many of us Tony...I'm sure you have tried a few painting and tube coloring techniques. What would you recommend for tubes and barrel and what is your take on brands of paint...any favorites?

TonyL

It's chrome

Not sure if this is a black or chrome kit...but it looks good!
Like many of us Tony...I'm sure you have tried a few painting and tube coloring techniques. What would you recommend for tubes and barrel and what is your take on brands of paint...any favorites?

For some reason. when I used the flash it came out black. I accidently dropped my light box this pm. so still taking picture the old fashioned way.

You want/asking my opinion on tubes and barrels and brands of paint or are you asking someone else? I am definitely the wrong guy. I am still trying to figure out if some kits come with roughed-up blanks - they looked roughed-up, by I hit with a Dremel any way (some are smooth and some have a Florentine finish).

I have no favorite or preferred anything. I am unsuccessfully using Creamcoat acrylic paint and I prefer hitting all with some white paint. So my dark blue blanks get a light blue tube, black gets grey, red gets pink. I have no idea if this right or wrong or can look better or worse by trying something else.

I say "unsuccessful" because sometimes the CA and painted tubes don't cure, or cure as fast - which is always a nice discovery as I m assembling!:biggrin:

If you weren't asking me, please disregard the above :).

I would love to hear what others do!

plano_harry

I have had good results with cheap spray cans. Spray in each end, check for coverage, let dry in vertical position so the paint is uniform on the sides. I let my paint dry at least overnight, 24 hrs in most cases. Then epoxy the tubes in place, wait a couple of hours and turn.

Nice pen Tony - you need a MANicure :tongue: or get the light box fixed.

TonyL

Light Box

I have had good results with cheap spray cans. Spray in each end, check for coverage, let dry in vertical position so the paint is uniform on the sides. I let my paint dry at least overnight, 24 hrs in most cases. Then epoxy the tubes in place, wait a couple of hours and turn.

Nice pen Tony - you need a MANicure :tongue: or get the light box fixed.

Thanks...

I had it all assembled and wanted to paint the grey "legs" flat white (don't ask me why - no one was going to see them). I was spraying it on the railing of my deck and it fell 12 feet. Good thing the concrete patio was there to break its fall :)

bgio13

Tony, I let everything dry/cure overnight, better to be safe than have something come loose because I rushed it, have not had a tube come loose yet nor can I see the brass from the tubes through the blank, so here's what I do.

1. Drill blank and let cool
2. Using Q-tip paint inside blank from both ends to make sure you have even coverage, let dry overnight
3. Mix up some 15 minute epoxy, then using a toothpick stir the paint used to paint blank and mix epoxy again with toothpick
4. Plug tubes with play dough and glue in blanks, let cure overnight then trim and turn

Hope this helps,

Bill

kenbu

Where does one find Creekline kits?

From Smitty's:

Search Results
Your search for "Creekline" did not match any products that we carry..
Go Back

Ken

Last edited:

walshjp17

Paint inside of blank with Testors paint - I guess 2 coats let dry for a few hours?

I recommend letting the paint dry overnight at a minimum, longer if possible. Most Testors model paints need more than just 'a few hours' to dry properly.

Top Bottom