All LOML heard was "!#@*!!%&#%!!"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Then he and the dogs took cover.

I was attempting to make a custom checkbook pen for my mom this afternoon, out of a pretty piece of acrylic she picked out.

The acrylic is very light in color so decided to paint the tubes with testors.

Since she wants it for her checkbook, her concern is that the clip wouldn't connect with the loop in the middle, so I decided to move the clip closer towards the middle while still leaving enough room for her to hold the pen comfortably.

Had my hubby drill the acrylic as one long piece, glued in both tubes - butted up against each other (so I thought), squared off the end and cut a little more than 1" down from the top.

Turned it tonight - had to make it thin so it would fit in the loop in her checkbook.

Here's what went wrong:

1. Tubes weren't butted up against each other so the gap between them was showing through before I even got it to size. :eek:

2. I painted the little gap between the tubes before I put it together, no biggie. :redface:

3. Had to scrape the testors out of the end of the tube after I painted the gap. :frown:

4. While putting it together I installed the nib, then the cap, then the transmission - of course it slipped at the last second so it was too deep into the tube. :mad:

5. Tried to disassemble. The nib came out fine. The transmission didn't. Instead, the tube started to move, which of course tore the paint on the tube. That's when the swearing started.

6. Had to put an extra dimple in the lip of the transmission so the cap would stay on - more swearing here.

7. Had to glue the clip down because it was turning (and scratching the acrylic) when you'd turn the nib out. Yes, you guessed it, even more swearing.

By this time, hubby and the dogs were hiding behind his lathe - guess they figured better safe than sorry.

Needless to say - I'm going to be making a new checkbook pen for my mom and sending it to her because they're leaving for home on Monday.

Here's a picture (of course it's blurry):

Attachments

• June 1 020.jpg
    June 1 020.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 500
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I've had those days. When I realize I'm heading down the path that causes more cursing I shut down the shop and call it a day. When I go back the next day, Murphy has left the shop and everything goes right again.

ngeb528

When I realize I'm heading down the path that causes more cursing I shut down the shop and call it a day.

Problem is that I'm on a deadline to get it done. I always have that kind of day when I'm working on something special for someone special.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nancy,

Alternate approach:

Those checkbook things are usually a little stretchy. Instead of putting a clip in the middle, where it WILL make writing less comfortable, throw away the clip. Profile the pen so it is a LITTLE fatter at both ends and thinner in the middle, then it will stay put and be comfortable to write with.

Takes a lot of the "design drama" out of the project, but you'll end up with a nice, usable pen!!

FWIW,

Ed

ngeb528

Thanks for the suggestion, Ed, but mom wants the clip to make sure it "stays put", as she says.

Most of the drama wasn't from the design but the assembly. I like the look except for where the testor's tore and separated.

Daniel

Nancy, It is nothing more than the Curse of the deadline. When you go to the shop today act as if you have forever to make this pen. Murphy will not give you a second thought.

By the way Ed I like your idea for check book pens in general. Built in holding power.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm really glad that I'm not the only one that has days like that:eek:

But I think that the the only thing wrong was the blurry pic. Pen looks fine and the idea is great:wink: Next one will be a breeze:biggrin:

ngeb528

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one that has days like that:eek:

But I think that the the only thing wrong was the blurry pic. Pen looks fine and the idea is great:wink: Next one will be a breeze:biggrin:

If you look just about where the clip hits the blank, you'll see a faint line inside the blank. That's where the testor's 'tore and separated' inside. Looks very obvious in person. :frown:

jkeithrussell

I sometimes do 2 at a time when I'm trying something new. Learn on the first one, the second one works, and you don't waste too much time. I can't remember a time when I've tried something novel and had it work the first time.

dasimm

LOL. Earlier this week I was turning a cedar lidded box for my MIL (aromatic sewing storage) when all of a sudden - deafening silence followed by BANG followed by G@@#*&^!*@!!!!!!!!. :confused:
Murphy - yur a bad little man...

Top Bottom