All cigars are not equal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Amazing as it is, I still have an occasional customer from the "craft show days" return to visit me at my office.

Today, a couple came in with a cigar pen that has to be over five years old, and it looked like it had been used!!! But the refill did not extend out far enough for the lady. So, I figured I'd replace the transmission and it would be fixed.

We have some transmissions we purchased from a Chinese source, so I went to use one. THREADING IS DIFFERENT!! When I did shows, I purchased cigars from Berea or CSUSA. Parts always seemed interchangeable.

Well, they are NOT interchangeable with the Chinese tranny.

Just a "heads-up",

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Jeremy has a way of taking things out of context all the time! It'll keep you on your toes about what you are saying before you say it, LOL. He has busted me on a few things so i love it when someone else gets it from him.

Drstrangefart

hehe, you said "Chinese tranny"... :biggrin: *snicker* *snicker*

3208604358_fec957f90b.jpg

Sylvanite

Back on the original topic, I too see variation between cigar pen kit designs. On some, the difference in threads was significant enough that a transmission from one supplier wouldn't fit or wouldn't stay on the coupler from a different brand.

FWIW, I've also noticed that some of the mini-pens (that use a mini-cross-style refill) have transmssions with non-standard threads. That is, the thread on the transmission and refill adapter are different than the thread on a cross-style refill. On other brands, they are they are the same. I've seen at least 5 distinctly different 7mm transmission designs, and they are not all interchangable.

There's also variation in cross-style refill length from kit-to-kit. I've taken to comparing all the refills I get and culling the ones that are visibly long or short. First of all, I push the plastic end down - it will move a tiny amout on almost all refills. That way, a heavy-handed writer won't make the refill move. Then I take 5 or so, stand them all up together, and look for ones that are uneven. Taking these steps helps me insure that when the end customer replaces the refill, it will fit. It's better to seat a 7mm transmission a hair deep than a bit shallow. If the refill extends a little too far, you can unscrew it a turn or so and the pen still works.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Jeremy has a way of taking things out of context all the time! It'll keep you on your toes about what you are saying before you say it, LOL. He has busted me on a few things so i love it when someone else gets it from him.
Help me out here - what did I miss???? I don't get what is funny at all.

CREID

Now that's really funny or really sad. Unfortunately I'm not sure if an explanation is allowed here.

Curt

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Now that's really funny or really sad. Unfortunately I'm not sure if an explanation is allowed here.

Curt
Send me a PM. I am usually a reasonably sharp and astute person .......

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

leehljp

Member Liaison

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Oh - no wonder I didn't get it - I ain't urban enough and I ain't young enough - and I guess I didn't spend enough time in Cyber Sex chatrooms.

I didn't get it either. Guess I am too old also and was gone from this country too long. Maybe those were/are good things! :wink:

The joke is on me --- after having it explained --- I still don't think it is funny. But, I never have thought of the double entendre as a particularily funny form of humor.:redface:

tranny

Smitty, Your not thinking outside the box.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty, Your not thinking outside the box.
Either that, or I am the only one who is thinking outside the box ---- almost everybody else was "in the box" --- they got it.

ghostrider

FWIW:
This is strange, because a couple months ago I gave a cigar tranny I believe was made in china (as that distributor doesn't deal with Berea or CSUSA, and sells mostly PSI and China), and it fit his Berea set just fine.

I do agree though. There is definitely a difference between the China cigars, and those made by PSI and Berea (haven't tried CSUSA's yet).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
FWIW:
This is strange, because a couple months ago I gave a cigar tranny I believe was made in china (as that distributor doesn't deal with Berea or CSUSA, and sells mostly PSI and China), and it fit his Berea set just fine.

I do agree though. There is definitely a difference between the China cigars, and those made by PSI and Berea (haven't tried CSUSA's yet).

When I was buying them, they all had the number WCO145. Originally, I bought them from a small guy---Woodcrafters of Oklahoma was his business name (WCO). So, I figured (Maybe not correctly) that they were all buying from the same source.

The only real point to my original post is CHECK before you assume something will work!!! I'm glad we did not start selling those "replacement transmissions"!!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
FWIW:

Just as a note - while Berea states their kits use no parts made on mainland China - PSI does not make that claim, they sell kits sourced both on Taiwan and Mainland. I have not asked if Dayacom uses any parts in their kits sourced on the mainland.

CREID

Oh - no wonder I didn't get it - I ain't urban enough and I ain't young enough - and I guess I didn't spend enough time in Cyber Sex chatrooms.

I didn't get it either. Guess I am too old also and was gone from this country too long. Maybe those were/are good things! :wink:

The joke is on me --- after having it explained --- I still don't think it is funny. But, I never have thought of the double entendre as a particularily funny form of humor.:redface:
It's really the second post in this thread that's funny. this guy is a born comedian, his delivery was flawless.
Curt

ghostrider

FWIW:

When I was buying them, they all had the number WCO145. Originally, I bought them from a small guy---Woodcrafters of Oklahoma was his business name (WCO). So, I figured (Maybe not correctly) that they were all buying from the same source.

The only real point to my original post is CHECK before you assume something will work!!! I'm glad we did not start selling those "replacement transmissions"!!!
That's the first thing we did. lol.

Who know... If we'd have checked the second or third one it may not have worked.

Top Bottom