are all bushing sets equal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

emccarthy

I've got the classic american bushing set from Woodcraft, but would like to purchase pen kits from a different supplier(wood n whimsies, specifically) as the prices are less expensive, from what I've seen. Does anyone know if their pen kits are compatible with the bushing set I've got, or if I'll have to get more bushings.

Of course, I could be way off base, and not need bushing sets, outside of using them as an eyeball measurement for when I'm close to my final diameter, and just use calipers to compare the peices in the kit to my blanks on the lathe.

input?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fred holsclaw

i get all my kits from woodnwhimsies and i found out if you buy in lots of 20 they sometimes will give you a free set of bushings for that kit
and yes they are a lot less money than any one i have seen .

Rangertrek

Nope

Dont trust your bushings. They will get you close for similar kits.
Always, always, always, measure (caliper or dividers) the actual pen kit parts and turn to those parts.

I have had the same kits from the same supplier have a little variation in the final diameters at the nib.

So, always, always, well you know the drill by now.:biggrin::biggrin:

randyrls

Even if they are the same, you should always check with calipers. I have found bushing sets that were off by .018" 18 thousandths! That is a huge amount.

Never trust bushings! They are clamps, and centering guides, nothing more.

Rifleman1776

The only thing consistent among the various suppliers is inconsistency.
Bushing are cheap and should be considered disposable items.
Buy new from your kit supplier and buy frequently. Factor cost into your pen prices.

emccarthy

OK, I get it - use the bushings to get me close, and my calipers to 'dial it in'.

One question - if I wanted to try turning between centers instead of on the mandrel, can I still use the bushings, or would I have to give those up?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, I get it - use the bushings to get me close, and my calipers to 'dial it in'.

One question - if I wanted to try turning between centers instead of on the mandrel, can I still use the bushings, or would I have to give those up?

You CAN use them, Johnnycnc's are better.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've got the classic american bushing set from Woodcraft, but would like to purchase pen kits from a different supplier(wood n whimsies, specifically) as the prices are less expensive, from what I've seen. Does anyone know if their pen kits are compatible with the bushing set I've got, or if I'll have to get more bushings.

Of course, I could be way off base, and not need bushing sets, outside of using them as an eyeball measurement for when I'm close to my final diameter, and just use calipers to compare the peices in the kit to my blanks on the lathe.

input?
I have been told to leave the turning a little proud and finish to size with sanding. Use a little common sense, If you are trying to perfect your skills making lower cost pens, you can get close enough with bushings. If you are trying to compete with Mont Blanc pens at a couple of hundred bucks a pop you want to be as near perfect as you can, in which case you would probably measure.

ROOKIETURNER

johnnycnc...need I say more? Only use the mandrel if johnnycnc does not have the bushing and you can't wait for him to make them for you. He will turn to spec. Last time I checked he was a few weeks backed up. That should tell you how good and precise his products are. I have mic'ed them and if they are supposed to be ".406", they are ".406".

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
"wood n whimsies" appears to be selling mostly PSI kits at a good price but PSI kits tend to be different dimensions than other suppliers kits.

Another item to be aware of is that there are "A" (.246 Dia) and "B" (.291 Dia) Size mandrels. Some suppliers offer both, Woodcraft only uses "A" mandrels.

johnnycnc can offer you excellent bushings.

For bushing and tube sizing see my signature below for the link.

Last edited:

emccarthy

Wow...that is an impressive database.

I wasn't aware there were different mandrel diameters, but I'll be sure to be on the lookout for the different sizes.

One thing - jonnycnc...member here, or is that a website I should be looking for?

Whaler

I have to throw in another vote for johnnycnc'a bushings. I have a set for every kit that I do and have had him make a set for a kit that he didn't offer. Great products and service.

randyrls

Last word. PSI mandrels tend to be slightly smaller than Berea and Woodcraft mandrels. Possibly the correct thing to say is that they are the same size specification, but slightly different tolerances. Sometimes PSI bushings are rather snug on Woodcraft mandrels.

toddlajoie

Sometimes PSI bushings are rather snug on Woodcraft mandrels.

I've had similar experience wit WC bushings on WC mandrels. I have a WC mandrel with a brand new El Grande bushing attached to it rather securly (both were brand new, first use...) I just haven't decided yet if I should sacrifice the mandrel to recover the bushing or just frame it as a reminder not to slide it on too quickly. I doubt I could get the mandrel off in any way that is going to keep it straight, as I'm sure at this point, something along the lines of a hammer is going to be needed...

Ordered a couple sets of Johnny's and I love them and the TBC process, but I have yet to get the hang of the finishing bushings...

snyiper

Try putting it in the freezer then pulling apart. Or when pulled out the freezer put a lighter to the bushing it will expand and the mandrel will still be cold.

fafow

I'll also put in my 2 cents' worth. Ditch the mandrel and get your bushings from johnnycnc. They are right on the money in terms of size and give a good snug fit in the tube. That should go a very long ways towards eliminating out of round issues. On top of that, he is a great guy to do business with.

ROOKIETURNER

I'll also put in my 2 cents' worth. Ditch the mandrel and get your bushings from johnnycnc. They are right on the money in terms of size and give a good snug fit in the tube. That should go a very long ways towards eliminating out of round issues. On top of that, he is a great guy to do business with.

Agreed!

Top Bottom