Are all acrilyc blanks created equal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alexkuzn

Guys,

I am shopping for acrylic blanks and wondering if there is any difference between acrylic blanks from different vendors other than price?

Thanks,
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

Alex, I don`t have a great deal of experience with the "acrylics" but I have found that the ones from Woodcraft have turned the best for me. I`m sure some of the pros will sign in on the subject and give you better info.:eek:

hewunch

No they are not. Some are softer than others. Some are more brittle. And even within types there are some that are easier to work. All of them need, SHARP tools. and a light touch.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
My guess would be that no, they're not all equal. There can be so much variation
between batches .. almost anything can change the cure. The particular materials
used, the colors, the temp, humidity, time, additives .. they all play a part in how the
blanks come out. It isn't just a matter of supplier.

Even the same recipe made by the same person under the same conditions can vary.
Two batches made side by side whose only difference is color .. they can mix
differently and cure at different rates. At the very least, this will cause a difference
in the patterns, as the mix continues to change even after pouring.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into the question..

DozerMite

Banned
Acrylic blanks are pretty much the same no matter where they are purchased. I haven't worked with a lot of the imported plastics, so I can't comment on those.
However, acrylics and resins are different, so you might need to be more specific, as most people consider all plastics to be acrylic and they are not.
Resins will be different depending on the caster. As mentioned, the environment at the time of pour will affect it to some degree.

roddesigner

From a novice acrylic turner, recently I have purchased some of Dawns PR and have found it excellent to work with priced right and the final results even make my work look great give it a try I think you will be very happy

alexkuzn

Since you mentioned resin...
What about "Polyresin" sold by www.exoticblanks.com ? What is the difference compared to acrylics? How does it hold fine threads?

Acrylic blanks are pretty much the same no matter where they are purchased. I haven't worked with a lot of the imported plastics, so I can't comment on those.
However, acrylics and resins are different, so you might need to be more specific, as most people consider all plastics to be acrylic and they are not.
Resins will be different depending on the caster. As mentioned, the environment at the time of pour will affect it to some degree.

Texatdurango

Guys,

I am shopping for acrylic blanks and wondering if there is any difference between acrylic blanks from different vendors other than price?

Thanks,
Alex
I think if you were comparing apples to apples and considering only acrylic blanks, the answer would be not much. But since acrylic is often a term used to describe anything "plastic", the blanks being offered will vary widely. There is one type of blank that many vendors carry and I think they are the best acrylics around. The designs can be seen at Woodpenpro, http://woodpenpro.com/acrylic_pen_blanks/less_than_1_inch_diameter.html

Woodpenpro's regular price is a great deal but now and then someone will do a group buy and you can get these for around $1.60 apiece if memory serves... hard to beat, especially considering they are already round and turn so smoothly.

Many of the "home brew" resin blanks I have purchased from other sources are either too gummy, too brittle or don't shine well so I stay away from these as much as possible.

Based on my personal experience I don't think you will find that polyester resin threads near as well as acrylics.

I don't want this to sound like an "AD" for Woodpenpro, I jusk linked to them to show the type of blanks I prefer. The blanks are sold by numerous vendors.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, if you really MEANT acrylic, which is unlikely.

You can buy cast acrylic (it requires machinery you can't have in your kitchen) and it will all turn the same. It is very heat sensitive, making it a trick to drill, but it polishes very easily.

Now, if you buy the stuff made for penturning, it will have some acrylic, may have celluloid and other added products. I am not a chemist and there are some chemists here, so I will leave my answer at this.

Polyresin varies by how it is made, so do the blanks you can buy from the importers. The only way to know if you like the blanks, is to try them and not all blanks from the same vendor will turn the same.

alexkuzn

Guys,

what blank length do you use for kitless fountain pens?
Some vendors have only 5" blanks.

Do you think that 5" might be a bit too short for kitless?
What's the optimal kitless blank length?

Thanks,
Alex

DozerMite

Banned
Many of the "home brew" resin blanks I have purchased from other sources are either too gummy, too brittle or don't shine well so I stay away from these as much as possible.

quote]

Maybe the user? I don't have any problems with gummy, brittleness, or shine. That is with my blanks or some from others who cast.

Texatdurango

Guys,

what blank length do you use for kitless fountain pens?
Some vendors have only 5" blanks.

Do you think that 5" might be a bit too short for kitless?
What's the optimal kitless blank length?

Thanks,
Alex
I have made several pens without kits and have found that it really doesn't make any difference and lord knows I've used both lengths quite a few times trying to save a dollar here or there. After a while you will find that you have a box of cut offs that you can use to make other pens so their really isn't a lot of waste either way and in my mind not enough to justify the higher prices some charge for the longer blanks.

Actually I prefer using longer rods because I can cut off exactly what I need then put the rod back on the shelf rather than dealing with all the short cutoff pieces. This becomes more crucial when working with materials such as ebonite which are sold by the inch!

Here is a shot showing three sections of a pen in-work and what a similar pen would look like finished to give you an idea. Notice that a 6" blank would not make a complete pen using a screw on finial so you would end up using a chunk of another blank anyway.

My lower sections are usually around 3+" while the completed cap is around 2.6" depending on which nib I use and whether it's a rollerball or fountain and how I hide the clip.

Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• blank lengths.jpg
    blank lengths.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 119

Texatdurango

quote]

Maybe the user? I don't have any problems with gummy, brittleness, or shine. That is with my blanks or some from others who cast.
Yeah, you're probably right, I have the darndest time figuring which end of the scraper, rounder or gouger... whatever it's called, goes up when turning these blanks so I don't know brittle from gummy.

Actually I have two (purchased) blanks sitting in my shop that after 6 months of sitting on top of one another, they have become one! Makes a dandy conversation piece... wanna buy it so you'll know what gummy is? I'm not saying all home brews are bad... but there are some... imagine that! :eek:

DozerMite

Banned
Just don't generalize and give the impression that resin blanks (homebrew) are bad. I'm sure there are some, but not all are. If you are getting blanks from someone that was just asking how to cast last week, then you should expect problems. :rolleyes: And yes, the user can create many problems with resin blanks.
I would like to see a pic of your two into one blank.

DurocShark

I used to have a problem with blanks softening in a hot garage. Then I started post-curing them in the oven and they don't do it any more.

I don't think the MEKP does quite enough to cure the blanks for the abuse I put the pens through.

Now I pour 4 blanks at a time (round) and toss them in the oven, molds and all. Leave 'em for a few hours at 170* and when I take them out they're hard, not brittle, and turn wonderfully.

I can *make* one brittle by adding too much enamel for color. I have a pure white blank I made that shattered. I overdosed the resin with white Testors enamel.

Mac

I think if you were comparing apples to apples and considering only acrylic blanks, the answer would be not much. But since acrylic is often a term used to describe anything "plastic", the blanks being offered will vary widely. There is one type of blank that many vendors carry and I think they are the best acrylics around. The designs can be seen at Woodpenpro, http://woodpenpro.com/acrylic_pen_blanks/less_than_1_inch_diameter.html

Woodpenpro's regular price is a great deal but now and then someone will do a group buy and you can get these for around $1.60 apiece if memory serves... hard to beat, especially considering they are already round and turn so smoothly.

Based on my personal experience I don't think you will find that polyester resin threads near as well as acrylics.

I don't want this to sound like an "AD" for Woodpenpro, I jusk linked to them to show the type of blanks I prefer. The blanks are sold by numerous vendors.

Thanks for refreshing my memory for woodpenpro .I got in a group buy on those about a year ago and was pleased and need to order more.

RAdams

Banned
Yeah, you're probably right, I have the darndest time figuring which end of the scraper, rounder or gouger... whatever it's called, goes up when turning these blanks so I don't know brittle from gummy.

Actually I have two (purchased) blanks sitting in my shop that after 6 months of sitting on top of one another, they have become one! Makes a dandy conversation piece... wanna buy it so you'll know what gummy is? I'm not saying all home brews are bad... but there are some... imagine that! :eek:

Whatcha want for em??

I bet with a quick tap on the table of my tablesaw, they would be ready to go! If not a tap, then a pass!

back on subject...

There can be a tremendous difference in the consistency of acrylics versus poly resins, etc. etc. etc. There can also be a difference within the different materials, But unless someone just flat forgot to add catalyst, or didn't post bake, I can't see "gummy" blanks. And then we get into the hair splitting from there... To me, those blanks don't count because that person did not use the proper steps to making blanks.

I have recently decreased the amount of catalyst i use because i thought my blanks were too brittle. I am happy with the results so far. I cut the catalyst by more than HALF, and my blanks are hard as your head! :biggrin:

Texatdurango

Whatcha want for em??

I bet with a quick tap on the table of my tablesaw, they would be ready to go! If not a tap, then a pass!

back on subject...

There can be a tremendous difference in the consistency of acrylics versus poly resins, etc. etc. etc. There can also be a difference within the different materials, But unless someone just flat forgot to add catalyst, or didn't post bake, I can't see "gummy" blanks. And then we get into the hair splitting from there...To me, those blanks don't count because that person did not use the proper steps to making blanks.

I have recently decreased the amount of catalyst i use because i thought my blanks were too brittle. I am happy with the results so far. I cut the catalyst by more than HALF, and my blanks are hard as your head! :biggrin:

I'm glad you recently decreased the amount of catalyst, sounds like a little "trial and error" going on, did you make the appropriate changes to the official "Proper Steps In Blank Making" manual and make sure all the blank makers on the forum were notified of the new "proper steps"?

Of course not, and that's my point, of the hundreds of blank makers on this forum alone, no two mix their resin and cast exactly alike. You just admitted that you needed to reduce the amount of catalyst you were using, did you ever stop to think that another caster needs to add a few more drops? Think about that for a second and you might just realize that I'm not exxagerating.

Casting blanks is like making pens, not all members make perfect pens... but they sell them none the less don't they? Some casters make superior blanks, some make brittle blanks, and believe it or not some make gummy blanks. If the word gummy bothers you try "soft" or "not so brittle" or "a bit tacky" or "I could have used a few more drops of catalyst".

The blanks or blank mentioned is not for sale but if you wish, drop on down to one of our North Texas IAP get togethers and I'll let you play with it and bang it against whatever you want, all day long if you like! Sure, I could saw it in half and turn it but I like it the way it is and it's beside the point.

There is no sense in dragging this out for the sake of starting another argument over splitting hairs, we've already gotten off topic by a mile. My point was that one is more apt to get consistantly good acrylic blanks than home brew blanks, that's all!

RAdams

Banned
WOW.. now i understand the PM you sent. I think this is a fine example of agree to disagree. I will say no more on the subject out of fear of getting SLAMMED by you...

I'm glad you recently decreased the amount of catalyst, sounds like a little "trial and error" going on, did you make the appropriate changes to the official "Proper Steps In Blank Making" manual and make sure all the blank makers on the forum were notified of the new "proper steps"?

Of course not, and that's my point, of the hundreds of blank makers on this forum alone, no two mix their resin and cast exactly alike. You just admitted that you needed to reduce the amount of catalyst you were using, did you ever stop to think that another caster needs to add a few more drops? Think about that for a second and you might just realize that I'm not exxagerating.

Casting blanks is like making pens, not all members make perfect pens... but they sell them none the less don't they? Some casters make superior blanks, some make brittle blanks, and believe it or not some make gummy blanks. If the word gummy bothers you try "soft" or "not so brittle" or "a bit tacky" or "I could have used a few more drops of catalyst".

The blanks or blank mentioned is not for sale but if you wish, drop on down to one of our North Texas IAP get togethers and I'll let you play with it and bang it against whatever you want, all day long if you like! Sure, I could saw it in half and turn it but I like it the way it is and it's beside the point.

There is no sense in dragging this out for the sake of starting another argument over splitting hairs, we've already gotten off topic by a mile. My point was that one is more apt to get consistantly good acrylic blanks than home brew blanks, that's all!

RAdams

Banned
Actually I have two (purchased) blanks sitting in my shop that after 6 months of sitting on top of one another, they have become one! Makes a dandy conversation piece... wanna buy it so you'll know what gummy is? :eek:

the offer

RAdams

Banned
[quote=Texatdurango;903313

The blanks or blank mentioned is not for sale

hmmmmmm

Top Bottom