Alignment tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrei

I'm playing with segmented blanks that have lengthwise glue-ups. In the past, I've made half hearted attempts at grain alignment when assembling Barons & Jr. Gents, but with these blanks I want to be very precise. I've tried assembling the cap first, then screwing in the nib parts to the closed position, then lining up the lower barrel by eye and pressing the nib coupler into the lower barrel. It gets close, but not close enough. Any better methods for aligning the barrels during assembly?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dave, I think you are doing it the same way as most would. A suggestion though, I would fully assemble the pen first then screw on the threaded cap insert fully. Then align and press on the cap blank.
If you are happy with the result, remove the cap and then press in the clip end. If you are not happy with the alignment you can easily get the threaded insert out without the clip / end cap being there.
Hope this makes sense[:D]

davidrei

Here's the pen I was working on, a Jr. Gent.

[ulr]http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22598[/url]

You were right, it is much easier to assemble the nib end first, then adjust the cap/thread adapter for alignment. My problem was I'd assemble the cap first, then adjust the nib end. The problem there, I think, is that without the lower barrel attached, the nib adapter can screw in a little bit further than after assembly. Live & learn.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom