Alan Lancer Who? The Skew Guy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhelminski

So I submit a post indicating I can’t use a skew to save my life (See Post “I S_ _ K with the Skewâ€)and every one starts praising Alan Lancer as the skew god, the Jessica Simpson of wood turners. So I figure if there is any help for me and the skew I must buy his video.

Questions:
• For the simpleton turner, that only turns pens any suggestions on which video to buy? I am assuming there is more than one video.
• Anyone want to sell their copy?
• He ain’t on Amazon.com so how good is he?
• Where does one buy a copy of the video?

-Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russb

http://www.alanlacer.com/

It's been said many times before and I say it again. Find a local chapter of the AAW and get some help from members willing to share their advice. A great bunch of people in these local groups.

http://www.woodturner.org/

byounghusband

Jim,
It really doesn't matter what you turn. Skew work is skew work. I have seen Alan's 2nd and 3rd videos and out of those two, I would recommend the 2nd to begin with. The 3rd as a follow up(it is many different projects that build on what you learned from the 2nd video.) Keep in mind I have not seen his 1st video, so I can not comment on it. As it has been said before, a local woodturning club is an invaluable source for information and advice and even mentorship. Where do you live? Use the link provided by Russb to look for a club close to you. You will not regret it, I PROMISE!!![:D][:D]

low_48

Where do you live Jim? Our AAW chapter in Central IL has Alan coming in for the weekend. [}:)] Kinda late for you I bet! We start at 8:30 tomorrow morning and I am taking part in a hands-on class on Sunday. Looking forward to it! I'm thinking it will sound like a Homer Simpson turning class. 8 guys getting catches with lots of DOH,DOH,.......

Daniel

for me books are almost useless when it comes to turning tool instructions. so much of the use of a turning tool is in how you move it that a still photo leaves a lot to be desired.
Videos are better allowing you to at least see the movement of the tool. they still lack the ability to convey some of the details. angles bet warped etc from any camera.
I have to agree withthe others that say. "Find a local turner and get a hands on lesson".
if that is not possible I have heard time and again that the Alan Lancer videos are the best. I have not seen them but I have learned plenty from other video clips etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom