Ahhh...crap.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drb007

I have been having a blast turning with my 13 year old daughter. She has completed numerous projects, including snakewood with no issues!

My 15 yo has been so busy with school that she hasn't been able to come out to the shop to try it. Until tonight. I had her turn Birdseye maple for a sketch pencil to give to my dad. We got right to the point of assembly...looked amazing!
Then I noticed in the instructions that I needed a 1/8" tenon on the end turned down to the brass tube. Since it was her very first attempt at turning, and it was a very small tenon, I told her I would do it for her.
I blew the end right off. Looks like I did not get good glue coverage on the blank, and it was a big fat tube, leaving a very thin amount of wood. Crap. I feel so bad. She was so close!
She is taking it better than I am. We will try again soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
C'mon. Now she's got a great story to tell everybody about the AWESOME work she'd done, and then Daddy BLEW it. She'll lekely be laughing about it sooner than you will, but you'll both be laughing soon enough. Kinda like the 8 pounder that turned into an 11 pounder when your buddy botched the net job. You both laugh after the story's told a few times.

Last edited:

plantman

:wink::wink: Sometimes it's good for your child to see you screw something up. Makes them see that your not perfect after all, and even you make mistakes sometimes. And, it is a good story to tell at school. Thank you for shareing this with us, and taking the time to teach your children how things are made. Someday your daughter will be telling her daughter how Gramps ruined her first pen, and laughing about that moment in time !!! Jim S

Last edited:
OK now turn the end off that thing and marry some wood or acrylic in and fix it. It isn't that hard to use the cutoff tool and get a nice clean end. Then drill another piece of wood or acrylic and then use the cutoff tool to cut it off. Put it on the tube and glue it in place (I use the mandrel as a clamp when I do it) and then cut your tenon into the new piece. It is remarkable how easy it is to get a very good joint doing this.

Kenny Durrant

I'm sure you feel bad about the mishap. We all know,even your daughter, it was an accident. Look on the bright side, that's a little more time you get to spend with her. Like others have said it gives her a story to tell about having to redo the best pen ever because of good ole dad.

kooster

Some good advice here from various sources. The BEST coming from Mikespenturningz. Your daughter simply witnessed a human trait . . . the ability to make mistakes. Even the guys in the Guild make them. Now show her your creativity and ability to correct the problem and perhaps, make it even better than it was originally. It sounds like you're not a quitter or intend to have this small mishap defeat you. . . traits your daughter can be proud of. And of course, just start over making another pen if that's what it comes down to. Now get back to that lathe and show it who's in charge !!! Oh yes ... I also agree . . . have a good laugh about the situation, the both of you.

Drb007

I appreciate the support. You are all right, it was good for her to see the mistake and the plan to fix it. I opted for simple...just used a new blank, turned the broken wood off the tube, but this time I epoxied the blank/tube before turning the tenon. Worked much better.

Now ask me how I screwed up the pink ivory pen I was making for my wife...

Top Bottom