Agarita drying..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Hey Turners,
I just got some pieces of fresh agarita limbs and was wondering if anyone knew how to dry them. I placed 1 of the pices in a toaster oven at 250 for 15 min and its doing OK so far. Does anyone have a better way of doing this? I

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Be careful with it. I collected some a while back and sealed them left drying naturally inside a box in my garage...most still cracked like crazy on me.

BTW, I also soaked them in DNA for a day before sealing. [B)]

Fred

Cut them oversized and boil them OUTSIDE for at least one hour for each inch of thickness. Remove from the water and air dry them for a bit. For example 1"x1"x10" = 1 hour boiling. And by boiling I mean a rolling boil for the entire time.

Read Steve Russells article here: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/boiling-green-wood.html

Be sure to go to his HOME page and read other very informative articles. I bet you will learn a lot from his site! :D

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Lupe,

Your best best for Agarita limb pieces is to cut them into 1/2 blank sizes or just long enough to make each barrel of a pen. Label corresponding pieces so you can get a good grain match. Now put them in your vise and drill the very center with a bit a couple sizes smaller than you will need for the kit. Then air dry as normal and most will not crack. By drilling the center you are removing the pitch and leaving room for the wood to shrink into itself rather than crack. At least I have had good luck with this method but your mileage my vary.

I no longer use the branches since they are pretty boring other than having a nice color. If you want something spectacular, dig up the root and dry it in your toaster oven. Then dig out all the rocks, dirt, etc. and cast it in resin using my "Worthless Wood" process. The roots is where all the best grain is.

BTW, when are you going to come by for a visit? You are so close, you might as well make a trip over here some weekend and I will show you how I deal with Agarita!

el_d

Thanks for the help. I did get some cracks in my Agarita as it was drying in the toaster oven. Maybe some worthless wood or I will try to fill the cracks with some silver solder if that works..... its too nice a color to throw away.

Top Bottom