Afzilia xylay?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Paul,

Afzelia Xylay, or Afzelia Lay, is from Laos, and there are a very limited number of importers (like one) who bring this stuff in. Knowing that people like this stuff, and having a monopoly on the availability, the price has been artificially driven up. I think many dealers are choosing not to carry it because of the nature of the pricing problem. I bought a hundred blanks of this stuff a couple of years ago when somebody else was importing it. I wish I had bought more of it! If you can find it, buy it, because it isn't going to get any cheaper or more available anytime soon!

Scott.

fmunday

Scott,
Can you share the name of the importer[?] Just curious about that. I've tried Afzelia Xylay and Burl and think I like the look of the Burl better. It seems to finish a little better.

Scott

Hi Fred,

I didn't keep track of the name of the current guy. The guy I got it from was named Bountha, and he was in Texas. I think Ryan at Woodturningz had some interaction with this new guy, and he might be willing to tell you how to get in touch with him.

I had a bunch of the Afzelia Burl as well. Nice stuff! I think Ed Katz has some if you want to get in touch with him - E-mail me and I'll send you his address.

Scott.

Paul Downes

Gee, Maybe I should look up a Laotian immigrant and have him check with the home office. You sure hate to see a monopoly that someone else has. Question: Is the xylay version of this wood it's regular grain or does it fall into the curly or birdseye catagory as in maple?

I have gotten some really nice Afzilia Xylay from Arizona Shillouette, Bill Baumbeck.....He ALWAYS has some of the greatest "eye candy" for pens that I have EVER used.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hi Fred,

I didn't keep track of the name of the current guy. The guy I got it from was named Bountha, and he was in Texas. I think Ryan at Woodturningz had some interaction with this new guy, and he might be willing to tell you how to get in touch with him.

I had a bunch of the Afzelia Burl as well. Nice stuff! I think Ed Katz has some if you want to get in touch with him - E-mail me and I'll send you his address.

Scott.

Bountha still owes me 15 Afzelia Xylay blanks!! I ordered once from him, about 1 1/2 year ago - minimum order was then 100 blanks, got only 85. Must say his stuff was very good, though. The next time I want to order, his minimum was 500 blanks, and as I reminded him of the missing blanks he hang the phone up on me. Was hard to get a hold of him anyway then.

Ed's stuff is fantastic and he is great to deal with, got a lot of freebees with my order. Go with him!
Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom