sbwertz

I also got some african sumac today. Here is the end grain

IMG_2488.JPG

and here is a piece I split along an existing deep crack

IMG_2492.JPG

It looks almost like redwood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terryf

This bowled me at first but we know it here as the Karree tree. Never worked with it but I believe its lovely wood, both in working and in its beauty.

workinforwood

Is it similar to California Sumac, or is that totally different? I have a bunch of supposed California sumac root burls that are a color like that but even darker. It's weird to me because the sumac that grows in my yard is almost an olive green color in side.

David Keller

If I'm not mistaken, the wood changes color with exposure. The red color is the final color. Somebody else may be able to confirm that...

sbwertz

This was a dead limb from a live tree. The limb has been dead so long all the bark was gone. I'm going to turn some of it today.

sbwertz

Is it similar to California Sumac, or is that totally different? I have a bunch of supposed California sumac root burls that are a color like that but even darker. It's weird to me because the sumac that grows in my yard is almost an olive green color in side.

I've never heard of california sumac, but there is a lot of african sumac in california. It is a popular shade tree in Southern California, so maybe it is the same thing.

Top Bottom