African Blackwood Pen blank blowout!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daveffemtp

So, I'm trying to drill African Blackwood for the PSI "over under" shotgun pen. The stabilized box elder was no problem, however, when I tried to drill the blackwood blanks, I ruined 4-5 prices due to blowing out the blank. The blanks actually cracked along the length, rendering the whole price useless.

The drill bit is nearly the same size as the blank, so there is not much room for error in the first place.

Any words of advise for drilling these blanks without ruining them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

After I blew out a few, someone told me to keep the bit very sharp and go slow. Blackwood heats up very quick, so I drill 1/2" and then let it cool for awhile and then go another 1/2". It works for me anyway. Good luck, that stuff is too expensive to tear up.

ohiococonut

I've never tried wood for the cap, I use an acrylic black or red blank. Use water and drill slowly constantly backing out making sure it doesn't heat up. My first two were a disaster until I figured out the heat was the culprit and I was clamping on the blank too tight. Someone suggested Pam spray but I haven't tried it yet.
If you want to use wood you'll most likely need to round the blank and use a collet chuck in the lathe for more support.

Daveffemtp

Randy,
I actually bought the whole kit (new drill bits and all). The drill bits are crazy sharp. I would go in a little way and then back the drill off and make sure the bit was clean of debris before plunging again. I probably ruined 4-5 pieces of Blackwood tonight. I was getting a little frustrated to say the least. Thanks for your help!

robutacion

So, I'm trying to drill African Blackwood for the PSI "over under" shotgun pen. The stabilized box elder was no problem, however, when I tried to drill the blackwood blanks, I ruined 4-5 prices due to blowing out the blank. The blanks actually cracked along the length, rendering the whole price useless.

The drill bit is nearly the same size as the blank, so there is not much room for error in the first place.

Hi Dave,

Apart from the advice was given above, I find that rapping the blank in tape, masking tape if you have no better but there are a few other tapes that are reinforced, therefore a better option in this case, will support the blank considerably while drilling...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Daveffemtp

Hi Dave,

Apart from the advice was given above, I find that rapping the blank in tape, masking tape if you have no better but there are a few other tapes that are reinforced, therefore a better option in this case, will support the blank considerably while drilling...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

George, that's a great idea. Because most of the prices I ruined tonight completely blew out the side of the blank. Thank you for your advise

randywa

Randy,
I actually bought the whole kit (new drill bits and all). The drill bits are crazy sharp. I would go in a little way and then back the drill off and make sure the bit was clean of debris before plunging again. I probably ruined 4-5 pieces of Blackwood tonight. I was getting a little frustrated to say the least. Thanks for your help!

Once I was finaly able to get a hole drilled, I learned that blackwood also gets hot and cracks with too much pressure sanding and using the sand paper too long.

Daveffemtp

I think I figured it out!

Sorry for the poor picture quality.......I'm no photographer!
284558_1940128425700_1317118442_31782569_7557849_n.jpg

283579_1940125465626_1317118442_31782568_661572_n.jpg

okiebugg

Blowout

Use three wooden C-clamps to support the blank. These will support three sides especially the middle as you drill. I use this method for drilling ebony and snakewood as support so they wont blowout as you get deeper into the blank. Don't get the bit or the blanks hot!. Drill 1/3 and let the whole thing rest. I've had pretty good results doing this. I still have blowouts, but not commonly, as long as everything stays relative cool

Top Bottom