Aerosol Accelerator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I've been thinking about accelerator recently and am wondering how it works. I was going to start a new thread; but think I will just pose the question right here.

I can see how spraying something on the end of a pen blank where the glue joint is exposed might affect the first quarter inch or so of the glue joint; but I don't see how accelerator can affect the majority of the glue joint toward the center of the blank where the glue is totally "hidden" by the brass tube and the wood/plastic shell.

Anybody have a clue?? Thanks.

twoofakind

I would imagine that when the accelerator reacts with the CA it heats up and spreads throughout the entire blank, as long as the CA is spread evenly and no air gaps. At least that makes sense in my feeble mind.
Andy

dbriski

I get mine from Woodturningz. It looks to be the same stuff as Wood N Whimsies. I get the biggest one he sells. I think 12oz. Works great. I don't think it affects the CA in the center, only where the accelerator contacts it and a short spread from there. I try to let mine sit overnight or at least a few hours before turning even with the accelerator. With tube glue up I usually just spray it on the ends so it doesn't stick to stuff while it cures.

GaryMGg

Christian,
Not to hijack my own thread, but I check the photos pretty regular just to see what folks are uploading and you've been putting up a bunch of great looking pens. Just had to say that. [:D][8D]
Gary

Pipes

Originally posted by clthayer
<br />Monty's pump style works great, and I have sometimes turned a few minutes after spraying each end.

Christian

I never wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to turn a blank after glue up with CA and never use anything to set it faster I use that on the finnish only . [:D]

Gulfcoast

Randy ---

I have read that the chemical reaction induced by the "accelerator" is almost 100% complete throughout the cyanoacrylate. (catalysis/catalytic)

An iterseting site on cyanoacrylate is --
http;//www.woodturningvideosplus.com/cyanoacrylates.html

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom