Aero length??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have been asked what is the optimum length for the aero brass tube.

Since I have not turned this pen, I'm hoping you guys (and gals) can give me one or more answers.

Obviously, the length of the tube, plus the nose length is going to have to approximate the length of the refill, but since I have not actually assembled this pen, can you tell me what works best?

Do you avoid touching the brass (as the instructions say) or do you have a better solution?

Thanks for any advice!!

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Don't know if this helps Ed: Of the few I've turned 3 were perfect just touching the brass, and one, I must have not quite touched it as the refill is about 1/32-1/16th short of coming out as far as it should.

zig613

Ed...

I have made a few and found that you have to trim back to the brass tube, otherwise the refill (as Dave noted above) doesn't come out as far as it should. However, as with other Parker style refill you don't want to trim off too much otherwise you will have the opposite problem and the refill will not retract fully.

Wade

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed...

I have made a few and found that you have to trim back to the brass tube, otherwise the refill (as Dave noted above) doesn't come out as far as it should. However, as with other Parker style refill you don't want to trim off too much otherwise you will have the opposite problem and the refill will not retract fully.

Wade

This is a perfect explanation of the problem and a good start toward a resolution.

Are all of the "cap" parts the same? When it is pressed in to the brass tube, will the "rest of the pen measurement" be consistent or is the "activator" in the cap subject to some deviation?

Do we know?

Thanks to all who participate in this, intelligently. Those who are happy with the kit dimension, follow Mike's suggestion.

I made them some time ago, they must be more "fickle" now and I would like to be able to give better guidance than the instructions. PM's are fine, if you don't want "public scrutiny" of your suggestions.

Thanks!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Ed, I make a lot of these and I trim the tube just a hair for them to be at the size I like. The transmissions all seem to be the same as far as I have noticed, I've had no issues with them at all. Overall, it seems to be a well made kit that is a good seller for me.

Top Bottom