Aero Click drill bit length and ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bedangerous

So I bought Aero Click pen sets and got them together to drill some blanks. Problem is I did not realize how long the tubes and the bits I have are not long enough. What bit do people use or how do you drill a blank for this kit.
Thanks,
Mitch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Ah long clicker!!!

I have a collet chuck and turn blanks between centers to a straight cylinder. Mounted in the collet chuck I can drill from both ends and successfully meet in the middle with the tube fitting.

A freshly sharp bit and a starting divot with a skew or center bit on both ends helps (if it does not fall on the mark from the centers it needs to be remounted)

magpens

OK, so we are talking about a 3/8" hole right around 4"+ long.

As Ken suggested, first turn the blank round (between centers) and drill on the lathe, preferrably using an appropriately sized collet (9/16" or 3/4").

If you are really careful, you can do it without a collet by gripping the blank end in your headstock chuck. . Hold the drill bit (which will need to be longer that 5" or so, and I think the standard jobber drill will do it) in a Jacobs chuck in your tailstock, and with the drill tip carefully centered on the free end of the blank, start drilling.

Keep your left hand loosely gripped on the rotating blank and drill away.

Last edited:

magpens

I measure my long clicker tube to be 4 1/8" long.

My jobber 3/8" drill is 5 1/8" long overall.

If you drill on the lathe and go carefully in stages you can drill a hole about 4 1/2" long. . So the jobber drill is adequate for the long clicker going in from one end only. . Going in from both ends would be better if your blank is fairly accurately round and uniform.

An extra long 3/8" drill is not hard to come by at Lowes, Grizzly, or Harbor Freight, or (for you Canadians) at Princess Auto.

Last edited:
Top Bottom