Advise for a newbie please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alexkuzn

Hi Guys,

what kits do you recommend for begginers? From reading this forum I guess it's probably "slim pen" style. But there are many suppliers with many kits in different price ranges. I am having hard time choosing one. Desicion paralisys :confused:
It's also hard to judge about quality of these kits from pictures.

Can anyone recommend me any specific good quality kits and a link where I can get them.

Thanks,
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

It all depends on your experience . If you are a total newbie start with 24k gold slimlines to save money (in case you mess a few up , it won't cost very much) . As you get better switch to the gold Ti or platinum kits which the platings will hold up much better .
You could also do Cigar kits which are much more forgiving (there is allot of wood left on the tube after they are turned) again start with the 24k kits to save money at first then switch to the better platings .
www.woodpenpro.com has some of the best prices around and they ship very fast .

hughbie

it seems that most people start with the slimlines....i did.....and i believe that's because of the cost.......like butch said......at less than $2 a kit.......you can screw it up (translated.....learn) several and it not hurt the wallet

leehljp

Member Liaison
The cost of slimlines are such that most people start with it. However, slimlines are among the hardest to make great. A Sierra type, and patriot/Carbara are easier, IMO.

The slimlines are hard because most people want to match the top and bottom and make smooth straight lines. Very hard for most beginners. Smooth Straight lines are usually the most difficult cut.

Since you are just starting, and if you move out of slimlines and other 7mm pens, look at Mandrel-less turning (do a search for mandrel-less) for simplification in making pens. Good to do this from the beginning and you will miss some of the common mistakes made by beginners because of less problems that are inherent with mandrels for many beginners.

Wildman

If you click on "LINKS," at top of page, then "Vendors," will see where everyone is buying their kits and pen turning supplies.

Of course if you have a WoodCraft or Rockler store near you can walk in and buy what you need.

If you want Slimline kits for less than $2.00 will have to buy mail order from vendors links. Don't forget extra tubes.

You can buy glue & blanks from folks right here.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am going to add another suggestion in here. Click on this link and read it all the way through. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7319

It deals with a couple of fellows who wonder why Mandrel-less is not suggested to new pen turners. If you read and follow, it can save you some headaches in the learning curve.

If you want to see the simplicity of mandrel-less as compared to mandrel use, look at page two for a list of the steps - and the differences.

1080Wayne

Alex An addition to Hank`s excellent advice . Buy spare tubes , for whatever style of kit you decide upon . Don`t assemble a kit until you are happy with a turned body . Minimal chance of wasting a kit that way . And if you are unhappy with a body , turn the wood off of the tube and reuse it , if you want . Wayne

Top Bottom