Advise & Guidance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

I posted this on the Yahoo site, but didn't get much of a response.

I used to turn pens way back. I stopped because I was in a townhouse working in the wife's laundry room and it was way too messy. I used a Jet 1014 back then and was fairly happy with it except it was a little under powered for anything except pens. Before that, I had a full sized Jet, but never used it for large projects. I sold everything several years ago. Well, we are now in a new house and I have a 2 car garage all to myself.

I have pretty much decided to go with a Jet 1220 this time unless I can find something as good or better for less $$$$. Any other suggestions for a lathe to be used 90% for pens, with a few small bowls thrown in that would be close in price?

Also, last time I recall getting supplies from a number of different companies and having a mess of bushings and bits. I would like to pick one supplier and stick with them to cut down on that number and the resulting confusion to my old brain cells. Opinions on who has the most reliable and best quality supply of components (I hate the term kit)? I prefer making mostly the higher end pens with top quality finishes. I sold a few but prefer to give them as gifts and to charities.

I was finishing almost 100% with Micro Mesh followed with BLO/CA. Is there anything new in the field?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I've heard good things about the Delta 46-460. Same general size and price range as the Jet 1220 (VS) but with a 1 HP motor (The Delta is 12 1/2 by 16, VS and reversible).

If you only want one vendor and higher end component sets, I'd be inclined to consider Craft Supplies (www.woodturnerscatalog.com).

Welcome back to the addiction.

-Barry

Daniel

I second CSUSA as a single vendor. Mostly because of sales results from my web site. If I had to pick only one they would be it. There are actually several other finishes you can look into but CA still seems the leader by head and shoulders. It is loosing some of it's popularity in recent years. Enduro is another one I use and like. As of today I have started trying a CA Slurry, sanding to 400 grit and then buffing with Tripoli and White Diamond compounds. I like the look but have no idea how it will last on wood. Acrylics I do not have as much concern about durability and the sanding marks are removed with far less effort.

thewishman

Welcome back. There are three main suppliers of pen components - Craft Supply USA who sells their own; Berea Hardwoods, who sell directly and through several retailers; and Pen State Industries, who sell directly and through several retailers.

Good luck with limiting your bits!:) Check out the big three (there are links to them in the link tab at the top of this page) and get a feel for which you like the best. After you pick your favorite, ask around here for opinions on those suppliers and their best retailers.

Things have improved in selection of materials and styles since your last penmaking adventure.

I can't comment on lathes, I have a big mustard monster, although it is great for pens too. Craft Supplies is my go to supplier after "experiences" with others.

Good turning>>>>>>>>>>

leehljp

Member Liaison
You already have more experience than me on lathes but I will tell you my experience. I started with a Taig for pens. It did well but was too limited. I moved to a 12 in Rikon so that I could also do some bowls. I learned :rolleyes: that I could not do 12 inch plates/bowl, but had to settle for around 11 inches. My next one will be at least a 14 inch or one that I can turn the headstock outboard for larger diameters.

Pens: A suggestion from watching people on this forum who are interested in higher end pens - go to closed end pens, kitless and semi-kitless (using fewer stock components :wink: ). It may be just me, but the absence of gold and silver in the designs of a well done closed end and kitless looks much more high end, like a "commissioned" pen and more elegant also. Custom done metal pens also look great. It could be that I have seen too many kit/component pens and recognize that aspect when I see them, but still the custom/artistic factor (when well done and finished by a fine craftsman) moves a pen to high end and gives it a high desirability factor that attracts a totally different clientele.

I will also say that I am not there yet but that is my goal for the future. Do a search for "threading" "Tap" and "Die"; also look on the "Advanced" forum for similar - and let this be part of your move to higher end. Those that are doing closed end and kitless seem to be in a class of their own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom