Advice on Trustone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonM

I've not worked with trustone before but I have acquired two blanks and plan to work with them tonight and tomorrow.

One is the green banded malachite and one is the black/gold matrix (which from the forums I understand to be a particular bear to work with). Both will be going on Elegant Beauty kits from Berea.

Any specific tips or tricks anyone would like to share before I dig into these things?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

Richard (r & b crafts) has some good tips on his website:

http://www.randbcrafts.com/turningtru-stone.html

In my experience, the banded malachite turns easily (no more difficult than acrylic acetate). I've never done a black/gold matrix but I found a Woodchuck (or other carbide insert tool) very useful for a black/gold web (which I suspect is similar).

ldb2000

Sharpen your tools and keep sharpening them . The Malachite should be your first since this turns well , the Black IS a bear to turn . Take very light cuts on them and keep them from getting hot during drilling and turning , especially the black .

Chasper

Be careful drilling, especially the black/gold. Get your bit sharp, very sharp. Don't let it heat up in drilling. If it gets hot, give it a few minutes to cool down. Do not drill all the way through, stop a little short and cut off the end.

I've damaged more TrueStone in drilling than in turning.

jskeen

I've turned quite a few of the truestones, including the arizona jade that Bill recomends turning on a metal lathe, with a plain hs steel 3/4 spindle gouge and a 1 inch rectangle skew. Everybody says "take light cuts" but some people may not know how to go about that, so here's MY method, and it works for me most of the time. YMMV of course. Regardless what tool you turn with the only critical part is the very edge, in the one spot where the blank hits the tool. Sounds obvious, but it's often overlooked. What is critical at that point is the angle that the length of the cutting edge hits the material, and the angle of the TOP bevel of the tool. The bottom angle is less critical, because for the most part, as long as it is less than 45 degrees to the centerline of the tool, it's not going to touch the material. But that top bevel is what actually pulls the chips (or ribbons) off after the edge cuts it. Taking a light cut means that that the angle between that top bevel (or surface, if you are using a gouge), and the face of the material, is as large as possible.

Now how does that translate into english, for the geometrically challenged? If you have your tool rest set 1/4 inch below the centerline of the blank, and you are turning with a gouge that is 1/4 inch thick and you put it on the toolrest with the handle straight out (parallel with the benchtop and perpendicular to the toolrest, the angle that the inside surface of the gouge meets the material is 90 degrees. That is almost guaranteed to cause a catch or chip or some sort of badness to happen. If you move the handle right or left, and change nothing else, you are cutting at a different spot on the curve of the gouge, where the angle is much larger and less likely to catch due to the shape of the gouge. If you drop the butt of the tool down and push the tool in, you are now cutting much higher up on the blank, and the angle of incidence between the material and the inside surface of the gouge is again larger and more likely to cut rather than catch. (up until the point where the bottom bevel of the gouge touches the material, at which point it will lift the cutting edge away from the work, and you stop cutting.

So, given those two concepts, and adding in that the toolrest can be adjusted up and down, as well as in and out, you can set that critical angle to almost any value you want, again until the bottom bevel of the tool lifts the cutting edge off the workpiece. The max angle you can achieve is largely dependant on how you grind your gouge, but is usually somewhere between 120 and 140 degrees.

When somebody says "take light cuts" they mean adjust your tool to get as large an angle of incidence as possible, and use light pressure to hold it against the workpiece. It is also helpful to move the tool into contact with the piece SLOWLY!!!

One easy way to do this is to intentionally set the tool down on the toolrest where the workpiece will hit the bottom bevel of the tool first (and no cutting happens) then slowly slide the tool back while raising the butt until the edge contacts the workpiece, and you start seeing find dust or whisps of material being removed. That is the lightest cut possible usually, and you want to decrease that angle slowly until you reach that magical point where you are removing material as fast as possible, but just before it catches, or chips the blank down to the tube, or otherwise ruins your day. Just where that mystical point is and how to get there? That's the part you can't learn reading a computer.

So go out there and PRACTICE!!!

Last edited:

ldb2000

While the Woodchuck is a great tool it is not the right tool for every type of material . For the harder tru stones a sharp gouge or skew is a better choice especially when taking the blank from square to round . James discription of "Light cuts" is dead on , these types of cuts are very hard to do with a square shanked tool like a woodchuck so you will be using a scraping cut and on the harder Tru-stones this can be very destructive on a square blank , causing stress fractures that can run all the way to the tube and will cause a failure as the blank gets thin . The best way to turn these blanks is a shearing cut that will slice the material instead of bashing it off . A shearing cut is made by holding the cutting edge at a diagonal angle to the axis of rotation and riding the bevel then slowly bringing the cutting edge into contact with the blank , this can be done with either a gouge or a skew . This type of cut will slice the material off the blank very gently . On the Malachite almost any kind of cutting tool will work including the Woodchuck and equivalents but on the Black and Gold Web and Matrix blanks the joints between the Black and Gold is a weaker connection and any stress forced on those connections can cause the blank to crack along those joints .

jttheclockman

I've not worked with trustone before but I have acquired two blanks and plan to work with them tonight and tomorrow.

One is the green banded malachite and one is the black/gold matrix (which from the forums I understand to be a particular bear to work with). Both will be going on Elegant Beauty kits from Berea.

Any specific tips or tricks anyone would like to share before I dig into these things?

May I ask where you got the green malachite??? I too am wanting to try this for the first time.

I am looking for a good price on this stuff.

jskeen

And, while I'm fully caffienated, let me add a little more excess verbiage to this post.

Keep in mind that cutting this way, you are actually only making contact between the material and the tools cutting edge on a very tiny spot. The size of the spot is dependent on both angle and pressure, but it's very small in any case. And because you are hitting a very small area of steel very fast with whatever you are cutting many times a second, that tiny area will get dull pretty fast. You will feel it as it happens, the tool will require more pressure to keep the same cut going, and will start feeling "rougher" You can rotate the gouge on it's axis to maintain the same angle and start cutting with a fresh, sharp edge. This will work across between a quarter and a half of the cutting edge of the tool before you start changing the angle of incidence too much or loosing your support from the tool rest. When that happens, YOUR TOOL IS DULL. Go Sharpen it. Even though over half of the tools edge has not touched anything at all, The part you need to use to do what you are doing is dull. If you keep cutting, you're going to regret it. DAMHIKT That was an expensive lesson to for me to learn, and you get it for only three easy payments, plus shipping and handling......... Nevermind

Anyway, again, you can get the idea from me, but you gotta develop the feel for it yourself. Go get some plain blanks or some scrap hardwood and just practice turning between centers. Take some of those nice square PR blanks You got from Dawn, and turn them round. You really wanted to know what it was going to look like anyway. Besides, it's easier to drill them on the lathe if they are round. better to get a catch or chip out of a solid full length blank than one that you have invested the time to cut, drill, tube, square, ect.

PRACTICE MAKES PROFICIENT! (perfect is a myth)

JasonM

Thanks everyone. Good stuff there. I'll let you know how it turns out.

John T. - I got these particular blanks at woodcraft (storefront, not online). They were on sale, so it was the best price I found at the time.

Top Bottom