Advice and piccie request ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

Not sure this is the right place to post this. If not, Mods, please move to appropriate forum.

Has anyone here turned a pen out of M3 Gold (solid metal / color). Do you have a picture I could see? Do you like the result? How close to actual gold is the appearance?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xmaddchillx

I tell ya what.. these blanks do look pretty cool. Need to get into the hobby first though lol. Finally able to afford the lathe. Can't wait to attempt on these

Kaspar

I went ahead and ordered one piece of the M3 Gold. The solid colors might be useful to me. I'm thinking they it might be excellent accent / veneer material, and probably turn a great closed-end pen as well.

As for the rest, Mokume Gane and Damascus steel are a very special look (and something I hope to get into one day.) Those blanks aren't up to muster as far as I'm concerned. Not even all that close, really. I don't think the purveyors are really setting them up as replacements, of course. I certainly wish them well. The blanks are interesting in their own right, and if they sell pens, awesome.

hughbie

i won an M3 blank at our pen turners picnic last summer. when i finally decided on the kit to use with it, i turned it. that was the hardest stuff i've ever laid tool to. i might not have had the sharpest tools, but i did resharpen every couple of minutes.
when i finally was done, even after all the polishing, it still went 'matte' on the finish.
while it was on the lathe i used MM up to 12000, then plastic polish, and even some Ren Wax.....it was shiney on the lathe....but the next day it was matte, now that i think of it....maybe some CA to seal it first....oh well. here's a pic of mine....it's M3 black and gold (mostly gold) on a blk Ti baron

Attachments

• m3 and baron rollerball resized.jpg
    m3 and baron rollerball resized.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

MHKogan

i won an M3 blank at our pen turners picnic last summer. when i finally decided on the kit to use with it, i turned it. that was the hardest stuff i've ever laid tool to. i might not have had the sharpest tools, but i did resharpen every couple of minutes.
when i finally was done, even after all the polishing, it still went 'matte' on the finish.
while it was on the lathe i used MM up to 12000, then plastic polish, and even some Ren Wax.....it was shiney on the lathe....but the next day it was matte, now that i think of it....maybe some CA to seal it first....oh well. here's a pic of mine....it's M3 black and gold (mostly gold) on a blk Ti baron

Did you try the Nuvite metal polish that was included with the M3 blank? M3 is a metal composite and needs to be polished with metal polish. Plastic polish and Ren Wax will not work.

OKLAHOMAN

Eric, Ive done both the Damascus M3 and real Damascus, I think Mike the owner of M3 has a picture of both of my pens to show comparison on his web site. I've also done the M3 Mokume Gane and hope one day to do a real Mokume Gane . As to the closeness to real, not to bad and yes I've sold both and the real went for twice the price of the M3 as well it should have.

I went ahead and ordered one piece of the M3 Gold. The solid colors might be useful to me. I'm thinking they it might be excellent accent / veneer material, and probably turn a great closed-end pen as well.

As for the rest, Mokume Gane and Damascus steel are a very special look (and something I hope to get into one day.) Those blanks aren't up to muster as far as I'm concerned. Not even all that close, really. I don't think the purveyors are really setting them up as replacements, of course. I certainly wish them well. The blanks are interesting in their own right, and if they sell pens, awesome.

Top Bottom