Advice from a Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

latenitetim

One of the most important tools to have is a caliper. I have found that sometimes the bushings don't match up in size to some pen parts. It isn't cool finding out after you already have your pen assembled that your turning don't match up to the nibs or bands. Measure all your parts and bushing and adjust your turning and sanding accordingly. Take your time. Remember haste makes waste.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lee K

One of the most important tools to have is a caliper. I have found that sometimes the bushings don't match up in size to some pen parts. It isn't cool finding out after you already have your pen assembled that your turning don't match up to the nibs or bands. Measure all your parts and bushing and adjust your turning and sanding accordingly. Take your time. Remember haste makes waste.
agreed .... its its always that 'last cut' that gets you :biggrin:

hdtran

If you're too cheap to buy a $20 caliper, for most pen kits, you can match the back of the bushing against the pen hardware, to make sure you've matched the correct bushing to the correct kit. (Don't ask me how I know that!)

azamiryou

One of the most important tools to have is a caliper. I have found that sometimes the bushings don't match up in size to some pen parts. It isn't cool finding out after you already have your pen assembled that your turning don't match up to the nibs or bands.

I would add that some kits have diameters that look like they match, but they don't - make sure and double-check which bushing you use where. E.g., the Jr. Gent 2 lower barrel is different sizes at each end.

One good way to force you to use your calipers every time, is to throw your fishing tackle box with all the bushings, down on the ground where they will be mixed up into a nice collection of scrambled bushing. This causes you great anguish and makes you run for the calipers. The purpose of this exercise, apparently, is for me to really be familiar with my calipers.

PenMan1

I actually use 4 sets of calipers (I make mostly capped roller balls and custom pieces). Each caliper is set for the exact piece where it will fit on the blank, before the lathe is even turned on.

This method allows me to get away from TBC and back to the mandrel. By making my own bushings (my bushings are not even used as a reference. They fit into the tube and are undersized). By mounting my mandrel in a Beal chuck and using undersized bushings, I can "taper" my fit at the joints without the bushings getting in my way.

By using this set up, I can get the same accuracy as TBC, as the Beall keeps mandrels from bending. Additionally, turning both barrels at the same time allows me more creative possibilities.

latenitetim

One good way to force you to use your calipers every time, is to throw your fishing tackle box with all the bushings, down on the ground where they will be mixed up into a nice collection of scrambled bushing. This causes you great anguish and makes you run for the calipers. The purpose of this exercise, apparently, is for me to really be familiar with my calipers.
That sounds like something I would do. I am always dropping something.

Top Bottom