advice for a newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

Hi all;
I tried to glue the tube in some spalted hackberry I have. I used CA glue let it set about 5 minutes then went to mill it; and the dang tube came out. I then tried thick CA glue, let it set another 10 minutes and the same thing. Now, I'm getting frustrated:(. I put gorilla glue on it; let it set a couple of minutes; slid the pen mill in to see what would happen; and must have gotten sloppy with the gorilla glue and pulled the tube out again and now it is GLUED on the mill.[B)]
I"m guessing the old spalted hackberry soaked up the glue. Maybe I should have put the glue on the wood, instead of on the tube. Maybe I shouldn't try hackberry for some of the first pens?
any advice would be appreciated...
p.s. don't tell the misses.. cause she will shoot me when I say I need a new pen mill....
thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

Did you take sand paper and sand the tube before installing it? If not you might try that to give it something to adhere to besides a slick tube. I know some don't, but you might see if it will work for you.

As far as removing one from the mill. Leave it attached to the drill and put a set of vise grips on the tube and start twisting. I had this happen and had to use a little heat to help break it free.

markgum

Hi Dustin;
yes, I did scratch up the tubes good with sandpaper before intalling them. Thanks for the tip on removing it. I'll give it a try.

rherrell

If you think the wood is soaking up the glue try soaking the hole with thin CA. After it dries, re-drill the hole and try gluing the tube again with thick CA. Work fast, CA to CA sets up quick.

Verne

My choice of glue is Gorilla glue and I always leave it set for at least 4 hours. You must keep an eye on it or take measures to keep the tubes from coming out the ends of the blanks as it cures. Suppose to be a new improved gorilla glue but I haven't tried it yet.
Vern

Johnathan

I would let the CA sit a bit longer than that too. I like using CA to glue the tubes in but have no patience so I use accelerant, wait the five minutes, then start working. Again, everyone here will have their own way of doing it, you find what works best for you. The key is wait for the glue to set and give the glue something to hold to (sand it.)

When I set the tubes in the blank I always spin and move the tube in and out alittle to make sure the ca is well coated on the tube and the blank and then i spray accelerant then let it set about 5 to 10 minutes. I use thick ca and I have no problems.

DustyDenim

Mark: Besides roughing the brass tubes with sandpaper, one other thing that my father and I always do is, after we think the ca glue has set up, we run a rat tail file around the inside of the brass tube to remove any glue which may have possibly seeped inside the tube as we were twisting it into the blank. If there would be any excess glue inside the tube, the pilot shaft on the pen mill may be catching it and twisting it loose. This may not be the answer, but we think it has helped in the past. Good Luck.

Top Bottom