Advice on a new pen type please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesFan

I think I want to try something beside slimlines.

I know I'll need extra bushings and a different bit for whatever I get.

But what is the next logical style to try? Hopefully one that the bushings and bit will be used for more than one type of kit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by BluesFan
<br />I think I want to try something beside slimlines.

I know I'll need extra bushings and a different bit for whatever I get.

But what is the next logical style to try? Hopefully one that the bushings and bit will be used for more than one type of kit.

The Mont Blanc advice is sound. The kit is also called the 7mm Euro, it uses a Cross refill and as stated the 7mm bit. It does require that you cut a tenon which intimidated me at first. You might also want to try a cigar pen. You will need a 10mm or 25/64 drill and new bushings (count on that for nearly every kit)but no tenon is required and the larger size shows off the wood better than slimlines usually do. The cigar pen uses a Parker refill. Go to CUSA's site and read through the instructions for various kits to get a feel for the relative complexities of the individual kits and then decide.

wayneis

Although the bits can be used for different kits you won't find to mant kits that share bushings. But luckly, you're not talking big bucks for bushings.

Wayne

G

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />One good one to try would be a Mont Blanc pen . It will still use the 7mm drill but you'll need different bushings .
IMHO
The mont blanc (being a dreesed up slimline) would not be My choice.
You can easily make a slim line to look like a MOnt Blank without all the metal embellishments.

If you did want to go with a mont blanc style
I would use the PK MOnt par from PSI/get it at wood turningz
It uses the Parker refil.
ANother great one is Perfect fit from the "B" company get it from BB/AS.
Good looking kit.( it does use 2 bits) but if you turn 2 pens that are similar, for another $2.00 you can get the pencil mechanism and make a matching set.
Most pencil kits that match the pen require a whloe different set of bushings so the cost for tooling is doubled,
The Perfect fit kit eliminates that.
You will also need the "B" mandrel which some consider a pain but I am using it more for pens with 8mm tubes that I am customising and making my own bushings.
This is my take Your mileage may vary.

GregD

I guess being the adventerous type, I say pick one. They are all easy to make if you can follow directions. The cigar type is nice as well as the baron.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The most obvious question hasn't been asked. Have you explored all of the possibilities that can be made from the SlimLine kit?? There are many more than just the basic SlimLine pen.

I don't know if it means anything but, the people who make the kits say that, next to the "SlimLine", the Parker style double twist ball point is their most popular kit.

Rudy Vey

Whatever you like to make!! It is up to you. Do you want to stay with ball points? Or do you want to further into Rollerball and Fountainpens?? I actually, not knowing anything about penturning, started with the 7mm European kits from Woodcraft and their pencil.
Then I got into the 8mm kits both Euro and American Flattop (this is still my mainly used kit). The slimlines came for me much later. But if you want to stay with slimline kits, check out Russ Fairfield's website, he has made a number of nicely styled pens based on the slimline kits. Very nice kits are the Perfect Fit Convertible pen (Berea or Bill Baumbeck), the Baron (Bill Baumbeck) and the classic double-twist Am. Flattop (Berea, baumbeck or CSUSA).

Rudy
SE MI

G

The only reason I did no suggest the cigar is it's size.
For value it is probably the best around.
Where else can you get that many parts for less than $3.00?
I am starting to customize it ia little more.
BYW the black piece on hte bottom of the top is powder coated brass,easily turned with HSS tools but you need to sharpen them.
Once turned it is possible to hide.
You still need to contend with the finial and the nib holer.
Russ is right about the possibilities of the slim line.His site will give you a lot of ideas and avenues to explore.

opfoto

In a similar boat...only having done SL's, I am going to try the cigar style next. There was other threads to steer me in this direction. Its good to see that this style remains a popular pen. Now to get some BOW......Gotta go now...[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom